Happy TFP guy tonight. Just did my full test and here is what I found:

FC 5
pH 7.6
TA 150
CH 190
CYA 50

PoolMath says to add a little bleach to get FC up to target 7, and 16 oz of 20% muriatic acid to bring pH down a smidge to 7.5.

Pool looks great! I need to post a pic. I think I need to reorder some reagents (especially for the CYA test), and maybe one of the auto-spinners.

Any advice on other tweaks I should take to get my chemistry dialed-in?

Thanks,
Ryan

i knew about the Pool Math calculator, but I remember reading somewhere on the site how to calculate how much bleach equaled X ppm......i suppose I can just rely on the calculator, but i think i'll probably try and hunt down the actual formula so i can just know it...........thanks for the replies.

Hmmmmmmm......

Well the result of how much to add to achieve a certain ppm is a formula based on the volume of YOUR pool, the % of your chlorine.

The simple answer you are looking for is that 1.2 ounces of 10% chlorine will raise 1000 gallons 1 ppm. Multiply that by your 27k gallons and you get approximately 33 ounces to go up 1 ppm.

It is so much easier to enter your numbers into poolcalc (which should stay static from visit to visit), then enter your daily reading to get the answer for the % chlorine on hand.

Me, I create a chart based on what the daily reading range is likely to be at .5 ppm results and what my target is (with a 6 ounce cushion) based on my CYA reading (tested 4 times in a 4 month season) which will tell me how much to add daily. I keep a 8.25% chart, a 10% chart and a 12% chart.

Based on my pools usage, I know I can skip two to three days of actual testing and simply add enough to cover/increase 2 ppm each day.

YMMV

pool clear. lots of rain yesterday and today.

FC 4
pH 7.8 and maybe 7.9 (seems to keep rising, I have a spa spillover, wondering if that's part of the culprit of rising pH?)
TA 130 (maybe I should heed the advice on lowering TA? that could help me get my pH down as well as lowering my TA)

thanks,
ryan

Yes, your rising PH is caused by aeration and high TA. To some degree that situation will help itself. As you add acid to lower PH and run your overflow it will lower TA.

High CYA may be the root of my problems CYA at 99--
Jandy/zodiac SWA quit this winter, just replaced with new 3 port cell, doesn't seem to be producing any free chlorine.. but all tests show working proper... HELP
Pool store (Leslie's) test:
25,000 Gals--
Salt 3000
CH: 550 (high)
CYA: 99
Copper/Iron 0
Phosphates 100
PH 7.5
Free Chlorine goes high after adding Clorox Dichlo, and goes to zero quickly

Leslie's Pool sold me new expensive "Zodiac Perfect weekly" for phosphates

Pool goes green overnight with some black algae on rock scapes

I live in SoCal, very expensive to drain pool.. but chems are expensive too!

Question-- is CYA my problem? pool store didn't say anything about that!! I read the sticky, ready to attack the pool... do i need real chlorine vs. Dichlo packs? am I wasting time with CYA.. is there anything I can do about that? do i need black algae killer.. or just chlorine? ... is my SWG not producing because of CYA?

cdclw,

It would be best for you to start your own post. That way we can give YOU the help you need. It will fit your facts best.

Look at the top of the forum. You will see the link to post new posts.

I look forward to helping you.

Kim

pool clear. lots o rain.

FC 0
pH 8
CYA 50

PoolMath says to add 176 oz 8.5% bleach to get FC up to 4. I'm probaby gonna go a little more to get FC to 5-6.
Also says 106 oz muriatic acid to bring pH down to 7.2 I'm gonna try the Lower Alkalinity exercise to see if I can't keep my pH from creeping up.

Anything sound outta whack or needs attention, other than needing to get bleach in pronto.

Thanks,
Ryan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
lots and lots of rain in Tulsa, OK over the last couple of weeks. have been draining the pool a few inches multiple times. hard to keep FC up and i believe i've let it slip to 0 at least a couple of times. pool temp is 70 but it's warming up. pool looks dirty, cloudy (can still see bottom in deep end), slightly brownish/yellowish hue on plaster lately. need to brush and vacuum and possibly slam? please advise based on these levels:

FC .5-1
pH 7.8 (have added lots of acid over the last couple of weeks and have brought TA down quite a bit using lowering TA technique)
TA 90-100 (maybe 95)
CH 150 (do I need to pursue calcium chloride at this point? CH has been 190 a few weeks ago)
CYA 40-45 (used to be 100+ but drained 1/2 pool and now we're at a good spot, thanks!)

Should I slam or just bring FC up to 7-8?

Thanks for the help!

Ryan

Last edited:
ok, i did the OCLT test last night. here's what i came up with.

10P FC was at 8.5
630A this morning, FC was at 7.5

I've attached a couple of pics. Pool is looking better but not where I want it to be. Do I SLAM or just keep FC at this level and continue vacuuming and brushing daily until it gets more sparkly? Couple of questions:

1. Seems tough for me to keep the pool clean after lots of rain. Good technique for staying on top of that? Keep chlorine high and run robot daily?
2. Safe swimming chlorine levels for kids if I add another jug of bleach this morning?

Thanks,
Ryan

20150603_065504_resized.jpg20150603_065453_resized.jpg

Hi Ryan, the reason it's getting cloudy and brown/yellow Is because you are letting the chlorine level slip. You mentioned you let it go to zero a couple times, and your June 1st test was under 1. Pooldv suggested keeping it between 5 and 7. That means adding bleach everyday to keep it in that range continuously. Chlorine is continuously used by the pool to kill germs and the sun also depletes it. So keep adding daily to never let it go under 4. Best wishes

pool looking alot better. still a slight blue-green tinge in the deep end, but i can see the bottom clearly. last night at 10P my FC was at 17.5 and CC was barely at .5. just an ever so slight pinkish tinge after i did the 5 drops of R-0003. it's always done that for me. this morning at 6A, FC was at 16, so it dropped 2 points overnight. guess i keep slamming.

after rains, i guess i need to be more diligent about running the robot, vacuum. lots of dirt accumulates after the rain and i think that is where i've gotten behind in the last couple of weeks.

for budgeting purposes, during the summer, with my 30K gallon pool, does it sound right that i would be putting in 1-2 jugs (128oz. of 8.5%) of bleach per day? That's about $5/day ($2.50 per bottle) of bleach X 30 days = $150. Just wanting to sound-test those figures to make sure I'm not off somewhere. if i'm keeping the pool super clean, perhaps my FC won't drop too much each day, but with lots o heat in Oklahoma summers, i'm thinking quite a bit of chlorine will burn off.

Thanks,
Ryan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.