Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: High CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

High CYA

I have a CYA question. I'm waiting on my K-2006 kit which should arrive on Monday. I'm using AquaChek strips and I'm pretty sure my Free Chlorine is very low (lots of rain lately), and my CYA is around 100.

Ph is at 7.0 and Alk is around 120. Water looks pretty clear and sparkling. Mild greenish hue, but very mild. Has cleared up in the last few days with continuous pump running. Should I take any action now prior to the kit arriving?

I have an auto chlorine feeder with Trichlor tabs, which I'm learning may be driving up my CYA. I have a full stash of 8.5% bleach, Borax, and Baking Soda, ready and excited to implement TFP!

Any advice would be appreciated. I don't want to sit for 4 days waiting for the kit to arrive. Wondering if I should drain the pool 1/3 and add water?

Thanks,
    Ryan
    30K gal, IG plaster, ? HP Hayward model? pump, ? sqft Hayward model? sand filter, Hayward model? auto chlorine feeder (turned off), Dolphin cleaning robot (intermittent, would like something better), spa overflows to pool, heater busted (not plumbed in), 15+ years old, test kit (K2006).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High CYA

Welcome! You have come to the right place to get and keep your pool purrrrrrrrrfect!

What I would do is....

-take out all pucks
    -add enough chlorine to bring your pool up to at least 10ppm.

I would wait to do any thing big until your good test kit gets there.

Let us know when your test kits gets there and we will be able to help you from there.

Good job on filling in your pool info.! Would you please add in your state? THANKS!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome aboard!

IMO you should proceed with the following.

Take all the pucks out of your feeder. Slowly add 1 gallon of bleach each day in front of a return while running the pump.

If you have been using pucks for several seasons, your level is well above 100, no doubt about it.

You already have algae in the pool if you have a green hue.

Most likely you will need to refill your reagents so that you can adequately keep up on your FC and CYA testing over the next few weeks. If you verify high CYA and do need to do a SLAM process (most likely) you canget your K2006 refills at TFTestkits.com as noted below.

http://tftestkits.net/XL-Option-p62.html
    http://tftestkits.net/R-0013-CYA-Refill-8-0z-p52.html

Once you have your kit, share your results and we can offer more advice. Until then, start reading up in Pool School.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...etting-started
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...efeating-algae
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...tain-shockingl
    Pool: IG 22k- 16x32 clipped corners- vinyl liner, w/ a great board. Built in 3/99, new to me 2/2011.
    Equip: Hayward 3600 DE filter, Hayward CL-200 Chlorinator (empty since 7/5/2013).
    K-2006 Test kit with Speedstir
    Located in Cincinnati, OH. TFP lurker since 9/2011, BBB interested since 5/2012 and converted 7/2013.

4. Back To Top    #4

You are gungho! If your cya is reading 100, that is at the top of tbe test range and there is a good chance that it is much higher than that. Here are some directions on extended testing to dilute the sample for a higher range.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...Kit-Directions

Draining a third of your pool isn't a bad idea.

Have you read some pool school?
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    Recommended Levels
    Chlorine CYA Chart
    PoolMath
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

We are in Oklahoma. I've read all of the TFP material but need to reread. I'll act on the recommendations and update u on Tuesday. Thx a bunch.
    30K gal, IG plaster, ? HP Hayward model? pump, ? sqft Hayward model? sand filter, Hayward model? auto chlorine feeder (turned off), Dolphin cleaning robot (intermittent, would like something better), spa overflows to pool, heater busted (not plumbed in), 15+ years old, test kit (K2006).

6. Back To Top    #6

I took the pucks out of the feeder. Added a gallon of 8.5% bleach. I'll take a reading in the morning. Waiting on k2006 kit to arrive on Monday. Can kiddos swim tomorrow? Looks pretty clean.

7. Back To Top    #7

The guideline is if the water is clear and the chlorine is between min and shock level for your CYA level it is safe to swim. Chlorine CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

You should add another 2 gallons of bleach to get the FC closer to 10-12ppm.
    TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Readings a few minutes ago. 4/25 11a
    Temp 62
    Ph 7.4
    Fc 2
    Ta 150
    Cya 100+

I'll add a couple of gallons this afternoon. Filter gauge nudged up a couple psi from 10 to 12.

11. Back To Top    #11

Did your text not go through?

12. Back To Top    #12

You should add it now with your FC being so low and your CYA so high. Got to keep the algae monster at bay.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok if there are a bunch of kids swimming now? FC level will still be in acceptable range?

14. Back To Top    #14

I would NOT add if the kids are in the water. Wait until they get out. Better safe than sorry.

You and I both know that they are adding "liquids" to the pool as we speak so............LOL

Kim

15. Back To Top    #15

Get them out, add it with pump on, wait 10 minutes resume swimming.
    TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

Got my k2006 today ! Reading the 60 page manual! I'll try to post my 1st test results tomorrow.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by rbmckenz13 View Post
    Got my k2006 today ! Reading the 60 page manual! I'll try to post my 1st test results tomorrow.
    To be honest the K2006 has step by step instructions inside the lid. They are even color coded, the blue section of the instructions goes with the blue labeled reagents and so on....

I retired the 60 page manual
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

18. Back To Top    #18

Thx Tim. Permission to jump into testing? !

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by rbmckenz13 View Post
    Thx Tim. Permission to jump into testing? !
    Sure

Take it slow, one test at a time. Read through the steps so you will understand what you will be doing for each test then do it.

If your kit came set up properly each row of reagents will be for a test (the cap/lable colors match the test) and should go from front to back in the order you will use them. if you keep them that way it will work out easier for you.

As you are adding reagents to the tube, keep swirling the water. (Buying a SpeedStir helps with this)

When conducting the chlorine test you can use either a 25 ml sample for 0.2 ppm accuracy or a 10ml sample for 0.5 ppm accuracy. You can go ahead and use 10 mL sample for 0.5 ppm accuracy. It will save you reagents and is close enough for us.

The pool stores give out neat little bottles to take your water sample in to them in. If you have one uncap it and invert it into the water as deep as you can reach so that the water sample is not from the surface. If you don't have their bottle, any bottle or plastic cup you can invrt and get a water sample for below the surface will work. Remember, no glass on the pool deck. While talking about the water sample, the pump has been running to mix the water, right?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

20. Back To Top    #20

Thanks again Tim. Really impressed with the responsiveness of this forum! What's the catch?

Here are my test results and comments. Next steps please.

Raining now. Water temp 65f. Water clear. Pump running 24/7.

FC 6
    CC 1. Very mild pink color.
    pH 7.8. Didn't do acid demand test.
    TA 140. Pinkish. Never went super red.
    CH. 0. No change to red. Blue stayed at bottom of solution.
    CYA. 100. Used dilution technique. Non diluted method showed > 100.

Pool is looking nice but would like a little more sparkle.

Thanks TFP!

Ryan

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast