How often do i need to vacuum a covered pool?

Mar 23, 2015
San Diego, CA
Hi Folks,

My recent SLAM worked great, water is still crystal clear. Thanks to all who helped!:p

I'm keeping my FC at the recommended level of 5 and running my pump 6 hours a day on timer.
The pool has been covered since the SLAM, my question is:
Since it's covered, how often should I need to remove cover and brush the walls & vacuum the bottom?
How long can I go before I'm in danger of growing algae?

Thanks!

How often will depend on what gets tracked into the pool when the cover isn't on. With crystal clear water, every single blade of grass that lands will be visible. I suspect you'll be vacuuming as a manifestation of sparklypoolitis far more often than the pool actually needs.

Tip: if there are a bunch of kids - and that size pool suggests it - before they get out, have them run around the pool to create a whirlpool. All the debris will end up in the center. Makes it much easier to vacuum it out.

Stuff gets past my cover and I need to vacuum a few times per week even if we are not using the pool. I do have lots of trees and the cover catches the big stuff.

Thanks guys,

Jason: The 2100 gph pump seems to stir the water pretty good... .i guess i'll find out eventually if there's a still spot in the pool.

Richard: "sparklypoolitis" ... LOL ... well actually, when i start using it, yes, i tend to vacuum before each use if there's any dirt on the bottom just so we're not swimming in it.
But when not in use, like now, cuz it's actually been too cold this last week or so, then i'm far too lazy to take off the cover & vacuum unless it's really necessary.
Funny you mention the whirlpool, we actually do that at the end of every swim just for the fun of it.

F3: How does stuff get past your cover???

I have a solar blanket on the water, then the solid cover goes on top of that. Only stuff that gets past it is when the wind blows it off a little bit, but not often.
One thing i AM concerned about though, is the water that gets trapped between the solar blanket and the cover... that water just has to be an algae breeding ground i'd imagine. No? Yes? Maybe?

The cover needs taken off every couple days. The pool needs to see the Sun and breathe. Your pool also needs brushed regardless of it being used or not. Brushing is not done enough. Would you go a week without brushing your teeth? Your pool shouldn't either. :mrgreen:

F3: I understand. I just take my ladder out before i cover the pool, since it's only 3 feet it's not a problem. But i still see dirt find it's way to the wrinkles on the bottom.

Casey: Doing a good cleaning today, i'll repost results if i detect any slime or anything. It seems crystal clear and clean when i lift the edge of the cover to add daily chlorine, which is only needing about a cup or less a day.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.