Green Pool....Is this ok?

Tebpac

May 22, 2011
State College,PA
Hi all,
We have a 15x30 AGP, 13000 gal. We had our cover rip this year in February and dumped some leaves etc. into it. It still covered most of the pool but finally, the cover was removed in late March, early April. My question basically is this. The water, of course, is slowly turning green and my wife wants to dump a gallon or two of chlorine bleach into the pool to combat that. I'm assuming that's ok? Technically we use Pristine Blue/chlorine shock but I'm wondering if this is the good time to switch to the TPC method. I didn't want to technically open the pool yet because of the temps being too cold and possible freezing weather. Wondering if we should let it run it's course until the freezing weather is passing or just dump in the chlorine.

It was a good time to switch away from the Blue to TFP before you ever started. That stuff is too expensive and not effective.

We recommend opening before the water temperature rises above 60 degrees. What is your temp?

We do not recommend blindly adding any chemicals without using test results to know the proper dosages. Adding a few bottles here and there is a good way to not accomplish what you want and to waste money. Either open the pool and start clearing it up by following the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process, or ignore it and deal with the bigger mess (by following the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process) down the road.

Either way you need one of the Recommended Test Kits.

We never advocate "dumping" anything into the pool. TFP is all about understanding what you add to the pool and why. If you want to do it our way, you will have plenty of people who want to help you succeed.

Take a look at Pool School, and start with the article in my signature, and let us know if we can help you take the proverbial plunge.

It's time to open the pool in Pennsylvania. I open in April every year. Yes, it's cold but I'm running my pump tonight to keep from freezing, as I did last night. If you're going to switch, do it now. Order a test kit like the TF100. You won't regret it.

It's time to open the pool in Pennsylvania. I open in April every year. Yes, it's cold but I'm running my pump tonight to keep from freezing, as I did last night. If you're going to switch, do it now. Order a test kit like the TF100. You won't regret it.

I agree with Casey on the TF-100 test kit. I also recommend you ad the X large to your order as I have learned the process does take time. It will not happen over night. I have been slamming since last Saturday. I am getting closer. I tested every 2 hours in the beginning. Yesterday and today I have allowed more time to go by. SLAM requires patience, but if you follow what these people say you will see improvements each day. Good luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.