Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No Chlorine Production

1. Back To Top    #1

No Chlorine Production

I have an Pentair Intellichlor IC20.

I just opened the Pool for the season and can't get the unit to start producing chlorine.

The "RED" low salt system off light is on, and the "GREEN" salt level light is off. My salt level is above 3400 ppm, and the temp of the water is 60F, requires at least 52F.

Any ideas on what I should do?

Brent
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No Chlorine Production

You may have already done this, but try to capture some water straight out of the return when you know the cell is on (perhaps jump it up to 100% for the test). Test that water to see if there's any chlorine. If yes, it's possible that something in your pool is consuming as fast as it is produced.
    18'x9', IG, Plaster, AutoPilot Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWG (RC-35/22 Cell), 1 HP Sta-Rite Dyna-Glas Pump, Sta-Rite PXC75 Posi-Clear Cartridge System, AquaCal Heatwave Heat Pump.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!

That is a sign of a dirty or failing cell. How old is it? Might want to have it tested by the pool store.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Check it to see if there is build up in the cell. If not add another bag of salt and see if it gets happy.

- - - Updated - - -

And welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

I would not add any more salt if you measured 3400ppm ... we do not even know the pool size, so just "adding a bag" seems a little hasty.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Yeah, maybe a little willy nilly on my part. But, the intellichlor will continue to function even in high salt condition over 4500. So, I'm not that careful with salt dosage.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

How did you measure the salt level? If you had it measured at a pool store, there's a good possibility that the flow switch/thermistor in the salt cell is bad.

I had the very same problem. Pool store measured 3400 ppm, but the IC40 (by way of the EasyTouch system display) was reading 2500 ppm.

The thermistor in the flow switch is critical to measuring the water temp. If the thermistor is bad, then the salt calibrations get messed up and the cell thinks there's not enough salt in the water.

The good news is that replacing the flow switch is pretty easy. The bad news is that the part costs upwards of $80 dollars. Still, much cheaper than a new cell at $500+
    Last edited by peterl1365; 04-25-2015 at 07:55 PM. Reason: additional info
    ~13500 gallon gunite pool, Pentair Intelliflo 4x160, Pentair 520 SF cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 400 NG heater
    Pentair Easytouch with IC40 SWCG, Hayward Navigator on dedicated suction line