When to add algaecide

Apr 21, 2008
I have a poly quat question also.
In closing my IG pool and using bleach and Poly quat should I shock first, then let the chlorine drop to normal then add polyquat and close?

So I have the LG and have been using it all year with great results. My FC is about 4-6 with a cya of 60. What should I shock too? How low should it drop before I put the PolyQuat in? and then close. Last year I shocked, then added Polyquat, then the poly dropped the FC then reshocked and closed. ANd open to a green swamp. So what should I do different this year in West Virginia? I also have a mesh safety cover.

Thanks

Mike

Just shock to shock levels, let the chlorine drop to normal levels, add the PolyQuat which will end up lowering the FC even further (eventually it will go to zero, but you don't have to wait for that), make sure the PolyQuat dose is a full initial dose or larger and not just a maintenance dose, but do not add more chlorine after the PolyQuat (at least not at shock levels). See this post for what Buckman Labs, the makers of PolyQuat, said about closing a pool.

Now I would be very surprised if the PolyQuat would last all winter long. You'll want to wait to close the pool as late as possible so the water is as cold as possible and then you'll want to open it as early as possible and get chlorine into it. Even with all of these precautions, it still may not work -- it just improves your odds. The only surefire way is to add chlorine on a regular basis to keep the FC up during the winter, but with pools that freeze over and no longer have circulation that isn't an option.

Richard

Well, I guess I messed up on the closing part. :grrrr:

I shocked, lowered PH, raised Alk, put in polyquat, put on the cover.
Temp is still 78, but we will be gone for 2 weeks. I did not want to leave the pool open, or come back and have to close the pool.

mikemedic said:
I have a poly quat question also.
In closing my IG pool and using bleach and Poly quat should I shock first, then let the chlorine drop to normal then add polyquat and close?

So I have the LG and have been using it all year with great results. My FC is about 4-6 with a cya of 60. What should I shock too? How low should it drop before I put the PolyQuat in? and then close. Last year I shocked, then added Polyquat, then the poly dropped the FC then reshocked and closed. ANd open to a green swamp. So what should I do different this year in West Virginia? I also have a mesh safety cover.

Thanks

Mike

I have been wondering the same thing. I close late, pool is still open @72*, and open in late April to slightly green pool. Is the chlorine and polyquart just helping until the temps are very cold.

May close this year without the polyquart and see what happens in the spring.

I also have a mesh cover, which doesn't block the sun very well.

I have an inground pool and use a meyco mesh cover. It definitely works and keeps out the sun. I closed the pool up with the water at 66. It got a bit warm on us and its now 68, but its been closed a week and just for kicks I tested it. FC is still at 5 and no algae. So I know the mesh cover is working just fine.

I recommend them as I have had good luck. :goodjob:

amjohn said:
Are these products the same thing as polyquat 60?
http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Chemicals ... e-60-Plus/
http://www.aqua-pool-warehouse.com/Cata ... oly_60.asp
some info at the following site seems to indicate yes, but that they may be repackaged and lower concentrations?
http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/polyquat.html
Those are all PolyQuat 60 (the last site shows a PolyQuat 30 on the right which is the same substance, just at half the concentration). The "60" refers to having 60% concentration of the main ingredient. If you see the ingredients list, then look for something that says the following:

Poly[oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride]

If you instead see any of the following, these are NOT PolyQuat but linear quats or other algaecides:

Polydimethyldiallyammonium Chloride
Alkyl dimethylbenzylammonium chloride
Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride
Sodium Bromide
Copper Carbonate

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.