I've finally done it

Too funny about the smoking dreams...I had them too, and when I realized in my dream that I had a lit cigarette in my hand, I'd throw it down and say "what the..??!! I quit smoking"...next thing I knew, I had another one in my fingers..., and would repeat the whole scene over and over... :lol: :lol:

Kind of amazing the stages we go through. When I was young my mother smoked, and I was an adamant non-smoker. Started smoking when I was 20, and basically only smoked when I would drink. Used to bum the smokes off of my best friend, and finally he told me "I didn't take you to raise..if you're gonna smoke, buy your own!" Once I had that pack in my pocket, that was all she wrote.

I guess I'm very lucky in that I don't even think about them, don't crave them, nothing. The DW still smokes, in fact. I keep reminding her she needs to quit, but as we all know, we have to get there in our own way.

sammm said:
It will get easier as time passes. The worst non-smoker is an ex-smoker! :lol: I can tell who's been smoking instantly when I stand near someone and know when a person in the car in front of me is smoking.

I had a few 'puffs' over the years, but it's been years since even that. I remember it tasting horrible!

It's weird because I thought I would be tempted by the smell, but I'm not. And so far, it smells really good to me still. My husband still smokes and told me he'd quit if I made it to Day 2. Well, lol...day 2 came and went and guess what? :) But I told him he can't quit for me, he has to quit for himself. And it's not going to make me fail if he doesn't quit. He will when he's ready, and we never smoke in the house so it's not an issue of that.

MikeInTN said:
Too funny about the smoking dreams...I had them too, and when I realized in my dream that I had a lit cigarette in my hand, I'd throw it down and say "what the..??!! I quit smoking"...next thing I knew, I had another one in my fingers..., and would repeat the whole scene over and over... :lol: :lol:

ROFL..that is funny!

MikeInTN said:
Kind of amazing the stages we go through. When I was young my mother smoked, and I was an adamant non-smoker. Started smoking when I was 20, and basically only smoked when I would drink.

I'm finding the whole process fascinating, actually. It is a cycle of emotions but it's so empowering to know I'm doing it. I used to always tell my Mom she should stop. (when I was a kid) Just like mine began doing to me! I look at my children and think, "My God..they're just babies" but I was already smoking at 12 years old. I pray they won't ever start and try to educate them..even before I quit. I don't think I'll ever be the lecturing type of non-smoker (like my Mom, lol) but after all these years...she eventually got through :hammer:

To those who have quit, kudos and big hug. To those who are trying, as I sit here at 1:15a.m. crying over my mother, who just got out of the hospital (COPD), I just want to tell you: If you love your loved ones, then quit before you become incurable. We are all trying very hard to prepare ourselves for the coming weeks/months and I have been asked by my mother to help my dad get their affairs in order. It's a heartbreaking thing for those "left behind".

I've harped on my parents for YEARS to quit smoking. I could hear their lungs going bad. They got really angry at me several times, so I quit. My mother saw, for the first time, while on the oxygen and massive doses of anti-biotics and xanax (to keep her calm), black tar coming out of her lungs as the stuff finally started breaking up a little. They were also long-haul truck drivers for many years (Dad just retired - due to health) and inhaled lots of pollution. But smoking didn't help. It is too late for her.

Don't mean to be a party-pooper. But I can't stress enough how heartbreaking it is for the loved ones. So to those who are trying, please succeed and make it stick - your loved ones will appreciate it more than you'll ever know!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.