Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pvc leak help

1. Back To Top    #1

Pvc leak help

Hi- I'm a pool newby and am in need of some advice as to how to repair a PVC pipe leak above my pool vac pump. I've looked around the forum and have found a few threads that involve a similar repair, but figured I should post my own. I've never done anything like this before, but would really like to learn! I will also be able to enlist the help of my 17 yo son who is the potato cannon king and knows a thing or two about working with PVC .

Here are some pics of the leak location:

Thanks!
    2008, 22,700g, vinyl, IG, SWG, Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD.

(More info to come when I figure it all out).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pvc leak help

Is the leak from the fitting or where the fitting threads in to the pump?

24 ft Round Above Ground - 13500 gallons... Former Pool Frog user. Sand filter . Located just South of Atlanta

3. Back To Top    #3

I would cut the PVC about halfway up to the elbow. You will probably need a new section of PVC, a 1.5" union, a new thread-slip PVC adapter and some pipe dope labeled for use on plastic pipe fittings. Put the new parts in with the union at the cut point.

With the union, you will be able to tighten the threaded fitting as needed, so don't overdo it. Coat the threads with the pipe dope and snug it down. You can break the pump housing if you go crazy on it, so it's better to be loose and tighten it until it stops leaking than to over tighten.

You might be able to reuse the threaded fitting and pipe, but that would be a judgment call when you see if the original fitting has pipe dope or tape on it already and if it is tight.

BTW, that is your filter pump. The vac pump is the smaller pump without the basket on the inlet.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

The leak is from the area at the bottom of the fitting where it threads onto the pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

Threaded PVC is the devil incarnate in plastic. They are fussy to install and prone to develop leaks based on solar flares and tide phase.

Best bet is to cut the vertical pipe above it and install a new section of pipe with a new threaded fitting. Cut it only about 8 inches above the pipe and use a straight union with a new threaded lower union. If you use teflon tape, I've always had good luck with 3-4 wraps around the threading and don't over tighten them. It may also be a good idea to install a removable union above the pump. This way you can install with minimal tightening and if it's it needs more, you can loosen the union, twist and try again. Many people will say pipe dope is better than tape.

PVC Union:
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks so much for the guidance. I've read over your instructions with my son and we have a couple of questions (the type of which make me think we are not understanding something):

1. What type of cement should be used on the non-threaded union? Is pipe dope appropriate for this or do we need something different?
    2. The threaded union with the pump is sealed with silicone. Is there an easy way to remove this?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern View Post
    Thanks so much for the guidance. I've read over your instructions with my son and we have a couple of questions (the type of which make me think we are not understanding something):

1. What type of cement should be used on the non-threaded union? Is pipe dope appropriate for this or do we need something different?
    You want PVC cement, and probably primer. Just ask the guy at the hardware store when you buy the fittings. They'll have it.
    2. The threaded union with the pump is sealed with silicone. Is there an easy way to remove this?
    Once the fitting is out of the pump, you can dig out any bits of silicone with a sharp pick or dental tool. Something like this. Any silicon blobs stuck to the pump housing can be scraped off with a razor blade or a utility knife blade.

The new threaded fitting should get 5 or 6 wraps of teflon tape and then a good coating of teflon pipe sealer.

My advice: saw the pipe. Dig out the old section from the pump. Install the new threaded adaptor in the pump. Glue one end of the union to the existing pipe. Assemble the union and carefully measure and cut the length of pipe you need. Then disassemble the union, glue the pipe into the pump adaptor, make sure the union ring is in position, gle the other end of the union on, and then assemble the union. It probably took me about as long to type that as it will take to do the actual gluing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you; this is really helpful. I'll let you all know how it turns out!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    You want PVC cement, and probably primer. Just ask the guy at the hardware store when you buy the fittings. They'll have it. Once the fitting is out of the pump, you can dig out any bits of silicone with a sharp pick or dental tool. Something like this. Any silicon blobs stuck to the pump housing can be scraped off with a razor blade or a utility knife blade.

The new threaded fitting should get 5 or 6 wraps of teflon tape and then a good coating of teflon pipe sealer.

My advice: saw the pipe. Dig out the old section from the pump. Install the new threaded adaptor in the pump. Glue one end of the union to the existing pipe. Assemble the union and carefully measure and cut the length of pipe you need. Then disassemble the union, glue the pipe into the pump adaptor, make sure the union ring is in position, gle the other end of the union on, and then assemble the union. It probably took me about as long to type that as it will take to do the actual gluing.
    ^^^ This

Exactly what i'd do.
    For the PVC glue, get the can of Otay Rain or Shine blue stuff if they have it. If not, get the Otay heavy duty clear. Also, a small can of primer.
    Like Richard said, teflon tape followed by some teflon pipe sealer on the male adaptor.
    Dont put any tape or dope on the union. It's not needed nor recommended. The rubber o ring on the union does the trick. And dont over tighten the union.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

10. Back To Top    #10

Folks, I'm back hanging my head in shame.

Decided to check the salt cell for buildup last night (it was clear), but broke a union trying to remove it. No big deal, heading to the hardware store for parts anyway. Except that I left the pump timer on.

The pump turned on at 8am this morning and ran, empty, for about 30 minutes before my son saw the smoke.

And a $30 job turned into a $1300 job.

11. Back To Top    #11

Ouch, that hurts...
    30,000 Gallon IG concrete pool with fiberglass walls, 1HP Hayward pump, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 250K BTU Natural Gas Heater

12. Back To Top    #12

That is AWFUL.

Well at least now you get to figure out what kind of pump to get... If you can post the specs of the old one and ask for recommendations, I'm sure you'll get some good ones. 2-speed or variable speed would give you more flexibility and save $$$ on the electric bill.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes, it is TRULY awful!

I guess I should start a new thread about shopping for a new pump. I am completely clueless as to what I should be looking for.

14. Back To Top    #14

Total bummer!! You can keep it all together here. Start by telling us what you have.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

One last hope.......we hear stories of pumps being left on longer than 30 minutes and surviving. Are you sure the pump is fried?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

16. Back To Top    #16

Son is repairing the broken pipe now. We will see...

17. Back To Top    #17

Don't know if you have fixed your pump issue yet but just for S&G I recently replaced mine. Depending on your cash flow you could just replace the motor you have now, as long as nothing in the actual pump impeller was damaged. I got mine off of Amazon for $145. Could be a temp fix until you decide to get a VS or 2 speed.

I'm Mobile
    14.5k gallon IG, Vinyl Liner, Hayward SuperPump (1HP 220v motor), Hayward DE Filter
    Polaris Booster Pump, 2 skimmers and one bottom drain, 5 returns.
    ~My Tremendous SLAM thread~

18. Back To Top    #18

Pvc leak help

Century Electric UST1102 1-Horsepower Up-Rated Round Flange Replacement Motor (Formerly A.O. Smith) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002TSAZOC..._tLHpvb1WTV9QW

Looks like the price went up a little bit. Also I am not sure about your specs but you could match them to the specs in the link to see if it's compatible. Good luck to you.

I'm Mobile
    14.5k gallon IG, Vinyl Liner, Hayward SuperPump (1HP 220v motor), Hayward DE Filter
    Polaris Booster Pump, 2 skimmers and one bottom drain, 5 returns.
    ~My Tremendous SLAM thread~

19. Back To Top    #19

Sorry to get back to this thread late- we had a lot of other projects going on this weekend

Son replaced broken Union, and we turned everything on. There was a buzz, but nothing else.

So do I understand, aw trickle, that it could be that just the motor is broken? That would be great, as a new pump is just not in the budget right now.

20. Back To Top    #20

Check to see if the impeller melted. Lots of plastic down there. If you have melted plastic parts, it could have locked everthing up and is not allowed the motor to turn. I'd take the motor off the pump basket and look at the impeller.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast