Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Started My ODK

1. Back To Top    #1

Started My ODK

After thinking about it and looking at some of these forums on TFP I decided to give it a try and build my own ODK. I have no experience building anything and beside hanging some pictures and painting that's about it for my handyman skills. We had just purchase a home a year ago and I had two pergolas installed with some concrete and pavers. I had a contractor lay some pvc for water and electric and a French drain my beverage center sink and ice bin. He also ran NG from the front of my house to my pergola so there will be no need for me to switch out LP tanks in the future.

Let me tell you I'm flying by the seat of my pants. I threw together some quick plans (U shape) ODK with Bull and DCS grills, burners and beverage center.

(1) 30" Bull Stainless Steel Bison Charcoal grill
    (1) 30" Bull Stainless Steel Longstar NG grill
    (1) 30" Bull Beverage Center
    (1) 30" DCS Liberty griddle/sideburner
    (1) refrigerator

I have completed the framing and starting to hang the cement board. I'm in a holding pattern right now waiting to get my contractor out to run the electric to my ODK since I already have the conduit in place. Since the grills pretty much took all my budget can anyone make recommendations on what I should use to cover my ODK?

I'm still trying to decide if I want to use porcelain tile or concrete for my countertops and if I want stone veneer or stucco for my sides. My dimensions are 14' for the two long sides and 10' for the one short side. My counter height all around is 36".

20150331_102610.jpg
    20150321_170903.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Started My ODK

That's going to be awesome. I suggest stone veneer (expensive but great) and poured in place concrete with a edge moulding.... but that's what I used so I think it's the best!
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here

3. Back To Top    #3

Paul, yours is very nice, what did you use for edge moulding? Do you have any issues with you concrete cracking? I did read where some folks used Z countertops.

4. Back To Top    #4

Started My ODK

Looks great so far! Are the frames from BBQ coach or you DIY'ed?
    Im also planning for an ODK, though it may just have to be a next year project as I got too much going on this year.

As far as the counter top, tile would be an easier option, tough acid stained concrete looks pretty awesome. I will be acid staining my concrete pad that was just done for the gazebo and the future ODK, so will see how that comes out.
    19200gl rectangular gunite/diamondbrite perl pool || Coverpools auto cover || Jandy variable speed 2hp e-pump & Polaris PB4-60 booster pump || Polaris 3900 sport cleaner || Jandy CV filter || Jandy AqualinkRS8 w/Aqualink touch || Jandy iAqualink2.0 || Jandy Watercolors LED || Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWCG || Hayward auto chlorinator (backup) || Raypak 117k BTU heat pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Deez95: got mine from here http://www.expressions-ltd.com/Concr...ers_s/1836.htm

They are pricey, but reusable so if you are ok with seems you could order a 3 pack and pour in sections.
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014

6. Back To Top    #6

That thing is huge! Great start for sure. I would stucco the sides and spend the $$ on the top. You can always remove the stucco and upgrade later as budget allows.
    Chris - aka cwescapexlt4x4
    (Build 8/26/14 - 10/17/14) in-ground Presidential Pools 15K gallon salt water pool Pentair Inteiliflo pump, Regal Blue Pebble, Clean & Clear filter, in-floor cleaning,
    LED light, 3' sheer spill, 2 benches, large Baja step. / Pergola by Booth Built 19W x 14D // Outdoor Kitchen, W/Primo grill and BBQ Coach kit for the island.

7. Back To Top    #7

Azmp1, I thought about using BBQ coach but decided to do it myself after going to HD and seeing the price of the steel framing. I'm no handyman but I thought I could at least measure and cut studs myself. Either way you still have to screw the pieces together. For a 2-1/2 " x 10' steel track it was about $4.98 and for the studs $4.10 which comes in 2-1/2" x 8' sections.

I'm also thinking about acid staining my concrete pad. We will see what happens.

8. Back To Top    #8

I don't know how old the concrete pad is but it is harder to stain older concrete uniformly. You may try to stain a test patch under your kitchen before to do the walls.
    ~Paul

9. Back To Top    #9

Chris, that is a good idea about the stucco now and upgrade later. I will definitely keep that option in mind.

Yesterday, while I had time I went to HD and purchased some plumbing for my beverage center. 1-1/2 pvc tailpiece and P trap. I still need to connect it to my drain pipe.

10. Back To Top    #10

I love the look of a nice stained concrete counter, but I'm really concerned with their longevity outside. I know my stamped/stained patio finish has aged rather quickly; shows all sorts of calcium type buildup and discolorations (streaks). My thoughts for you are to look around for granite (the builder grade is a bit thinner and I believe the Baltic Brown is the least costly). My laterals are tiled, but I also like the stone veneer finishes; like Paul's.
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22X42 Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10X12 Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm curious to know how those Home Depot steel beams hold up. What gauge are they?

Is the guage of steel really that important as BBQ coach claims?
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

12. Back To Top    #12

The main thing is the overall strength, the size of the studs used looks good (a little wider but possibly thinner than my BBQCoach frames)
    Chris - aka cwescapexlt4x4
    (Build 8/26/14 - 10/17/14) in-ground Presidential Pools 15K gallon salt water pool Pentair Inteiliflo pump, Regal Blue Pebble, Clean & Clear filter, in-floor cleaning,
    LED light, 3' sheer spill, 2 benches, large Baja step. / Pergola by Booth Built 19W x 14D // Outdoor Kitchen, W/Primo grill and BBQ Coach kit for the island.

13. Back To Top    #13

BBQ Coach frames are 20 (or 16 ga) 3.5" I believe studs. I used the 20 and did the heavier concrete counter. What BBQC doesn't tell you is that the hardi and in my case stone veneer also add to strength. I can jump up and down on mine and it's fine.
    ~Paul

14. Back To Top    #14

I'll agree with Paul and add 10%. The strength is in the backer board, but just to add lateral strength(especially during construction), a few angled supports are nice.
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22X42 Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10X12 Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater

15. Back To Top    #15

So what do the saving look like if you go the DIY Home Depot route vs buying prefab from DIY coach? Is it pretty substantial?

Also I really like the stucco option as well, you can do some random tile/stone veneer pieces with stucco, I think that would look great.

Also Jabooh1, which brand of acid stain did you go with for your countertop and did you follow some DIY instructions? I've been looking around the net and there are quite a few different sites offering acid stains and the entire packages, with pricing being pretty much all over the place.

19200gl rectangular gunite/diamondbrite perl pool || Coverpools auto cover || Jandy variable speed 2hp e-pump & Polaris PB4-60 booster pump || Polaris 3900 sport cleaner || Jandy CV filter || Jandy AqualinkRS8 w/Aqualink touch || Jandy iAqualink2.0 || Jandy Watercolors LED || Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWCG || Hayward auto chlorinator (backup) || Raypak 117k BTU heat pump

16. Back To Top    #16

I poured my concrete, waited 4 weeks for it to cure, sanded with various levels of diamond pads, then stained. Everything came from Expressions LTD. Well except the orbital sander itself. That was northern tool or harbor freight I believe.

It's messy but easy.
    ~Paul

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Jabooh1 View Post
    I poured my concrete, waited 4 weeks for it to cure, sanded with various levels of diamond pads, then stained. Everything came from Expressions LTD. Well except the orbital sander itself. That was northern tool or harbor freight I believe.

It's messy but easy.
    Cool thanks I'll check them out. Always nice to get someone's recommendation as they all look good and promise great results!

18. Back To Top    #18

I'm starting to install my cement board now (PermaBase) from Lowes. What are you guys using to cut the board? I started off today using a putty knife, not too bad but would like for the cutting to be a little more easier. I'm thinking about using a circular saw tomorrow, instead of making several cuts with a putty knife and breaking it at the seam.

19. Back To Top    #19

I used a 4 foot metal level for a straight edge and a razor blade. Cut twice then snap.
    ~Paul

20. Back To Top    #20

In the tile section at Lowes or HD they sell a backerboard scoring tool. It works very well with a 4ft drywall "T" square. It costs about $10.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast