The Woodlands, TX
Here are my current readings:

FC 6
CC 0
PH 7.2
TA 80
CH 350
CYA 90

Pool calculator says 37lbs of boric acid and was about to add when I noticed my CSI says -0.61 and mousing over says corrosion of plaster likely. What about these numbers throws this CSI into the mix and do I need some further adjustment to get the number down?
Thanks to all for your help.

B

Your PH is lower than it ideally should be. CYA is also a little high. Otherwise you are good.

Boric acid is going to lower the PH further at least a little, so definitely raise PH up to around 7.5 to 7.6 before adding boric acid.

The pH is at the low end and it is the major driver of the low CSI reading. With those numbers, increasing the pH to 7.5-7.8 range will be perfect to help prevent scaling inside the SWG.

You can add the boric acid after raising the pH to 7.5ish. To raise the pH, just run the spa which aerates the pool and that will increase the pH and leave the other readings alone.

Your PH is lower than it ideally should be. CYA is also a little high. Otherwise you are good.

Boric acid is going to lower the PH further at least a little, so definitely raise PH up to around 7.5 to 7.6 before adding boric acid.

Thanks, Jason. I had just gotten the PH down to 7.2 in order to also bring my TA down and have been running the falls all day to raise the PH. Just checked and PH is up to 7.5 now so I guess I'm good.

The pH is at the low end and it is the major driver of the low CSI reading. With those numbers, increasing the pH to 7.5-7.8 range will be perfect to help prevent scaling inside the SWG.

You can add the boric acid after raising the pH to 7.5ish. To raise the pH, just run the spa which aerates the pool and that will increase the pH and leave the other readings alone.

Thanks, ping. As I said to Jason, I lowered the PH to also get my TA in range and have been running the falls all day so PH is now up to 7.5.
I suppose the lower PH led the calculator to show the high CSI? I will now add the boric acid.

Man! You are a pro TFPC guy! :goodjob:

Not so fast, pooldv....:paddle::paddle::paddle:

I'm just an old newbie trying to read and save :cheers:

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, ping. As I said to Jason, I lowered the PH to also get my TA in range and have been running the falls all day so PH is now up to 7.5.
I suppose the lower PH led the calculator to show the high CSI? I will now add the boric acid.

Jason,

One more thing....with boric acid, can I broadcast all at once or do I need to split it up like your sticky says for borax? Also run for 24 hrs afterwards?

All is well. Added the boric acid this morning and wallahhhh!! I've got sparkly water and is as clean and clear as its ever been!
Now I might have to add a little heat so I can get in and enjoy the "silkyness" :cool:

Thanks for all you guys do in helping to maintain our pool in an efficient and reasonable manner!

B

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.