Check these readings for CSI and Borax readiness

Here are my current readings:

FC 6
    CC 0
    PH 7.2
    TA 80
    CH 350
    CYA 90

Pool calculator says 37lbs of boric acid and was about to add when I noticed my CSI says -0.61 and mousing over says corrosion of plaster likely. What about these numbers throws this CSI into the mix and do I need some further adjustment to get the number down?
    Thanks to all for your help.

B
    32 x 15 15500 gal. IG gunite, 6 ft. round attached spa, diamond brite 2 plaster, flagstone coping w/concrete spray deck, IntelliChlor IC-40 SWG, 2 hp Max-E-Pro pump, 450 sq.ft. System 3 cartridge filter, 400k Max-E-Therm NG heater, automation is IntelliTouch i7+3, Polaris 280 pressure side cleaner,
    TS 100, Borax

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Check these readings for CSI and Borax readiness

Your PH is lower than it ideally should be. CYA is also a little high. Otherwise you are good.

Boric acid is going to lower the PH further at least a little, so definitely raise PH up to around 7.5 to 7.6 before adding boric acid.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The pH is at the low end and it is the major driver of the low CSI reading. With those numbers, increasing the pH to 7.5-7.8 range will be perfect to help prevent scaling inside the SWG.

You can add the boric acid after raising the pH to 7.5ish. To raise the pH, just run the spa which aerates the pool and that will increase the pH and leave the other readings alone.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Your PH is lower than it ideally should be. CYA is also a little high. Otherwise you are good.

Boric acid is going to lower the PH further at least a little, so definitely raise PH up to around 7.5 to 7.6 before adding boric acid.
    Thanks, Jason. I had just gotten the PH down to 7.2 in order to also bring my TA down and have been running the falls all day to raise the PH. Just checked and PH is up to 7.5 now so I guess I'm good.
    32 x 15 15500 gal. IG gunite, 6 ft. round attached spa, diamond brite 2 plaster, flagstone coping w/concrete spray deck, IntelliChlor IC-40 SWG, 2 hp Max-E-Pro pump, 450 sq.ft. System 3 cartridge filter, 400k Max-E-Therm NG heater, automation is IntelliTouch i7+3, Polaris 280 pressure side cleaner,
    TS 100, Borax

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    The pH is at the low end and it is the major driver of the low CSI reading. With those numbers, increasing the pH to 7.5-7.8 range will be perfect to help prevent scaling inside the SWG.

You can add the boric acid after raising the pH to 7.5ish. To raise the pH, just run the spa which aerates the pool and that will increase the pH and leave the other readings alone.
    Thanks, ping. As I said to Jason, I lowered the PH to also get my TA in range and have been running the falls all day so PH is now up to 7.5.
    I suppose the lower PH led the calculator to show the high CSI? I will now add the boric acid.
    TS 100, Borax

6. Back To Top    #6

Man! You are a pro TFPC guy!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Man! You are a pro TFPC guy!
    Not so fast, pooldv....

I'm just an old newbie trying to read and save

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bware View Post
    Thanks, ping. As I said to Jason, I lowered the PH to also get my TA in range and have been running the falls all day so PH is now up to 7.5.
    I suppose the lower PH led the calculator to show the high CSI? I will now add the boric acid.
    Jason,

One more thing....with boric acid, can I broadcast all at once or do I need to split it up like your sticky says for borax? Also run for 24 hrs afterwards?
    TS 100, Borax

8. Back To Top    #8

For boric acid, just keep adding until you have put the whole amount in.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

All is well. Added the boric acid this morning and wallahhhh!! I've got sparkly water and is as clean and clear as its ever been!
    Now I might have to add a little heat so I can get in and enjoy the "silkyness"

Thanks for all you guys do in helping to maintain our pool in an efficient and reasonable manner!

B
    TS 100, Borax