Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally finished in the Keys!

1. Back To Top    #1

Finally finished in the Keys!

After one year and 2 weeks our pool build is finally complete. It is a beautiful pool with a few problems and I wanted to get some advice before I pay the 10% remaining balance. Our contract said the pool would be finished in 6-8 weeks, (it took 54 weeks), pool depth was contracted to be 3 1/2 to 6 feet deep (it's actually 3 1/2 to 4'9"), the pool deck was supposed to match existing slab on ground floor of house, (it is 4-5" higher which is causing drainage issues), and the pool is not square. The PB has asked us to come up with an amount to deduct from the final bill. Does anybody have any advice? I don't want to pay him anything more!

Shotcrete IG, 880 sq. ft., 32,000 gallons,, 3.5 - 5.5 deep, SWG, Jandy 140000 Heat Pump, 1 1/2 HP Jandy, 36 sq. ft. DE Jandy filter with an attached spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Finally finished in the Keys!

OMG I couldn't imagine having a build lasting over a year! I have no relevant experience or advice - but you have my sympathies and I wanna see pics! At least it is complete!!!
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

3. Back To Top    #3

Wow 1 year ,Mine was filled on the 7th day

4. Back To Top    #4

If you've already paid 90%, I personally wouldn't hand over another penny.
    You have a pool which is NOT what was contracted for. That's why we have contracts.
    It's 15" less than contracted, poor quality and has the potential to flood your home!
    My biggest concern would be the flooding potential.
    I might even be considering legal action. It may have negatively impacted you home's value.

Maybe I'm being too harsh but I would be fuming...
    Chris Hawkins

18,000 gallon vinyl Inground. Hayward Goldline Aquarite 40k SWG, Pentair Intelliflo VS pump.
    Polaris 3900 cleaner, Pentair Tagelus sand filter. AquaPro 1300 heat pump. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

How they were 1'3" short on the deep end is beyond me. The amount to deduct kind of depend on how much you owe!
    IG gunite 32 x 18 on a bachelor budget! Click Here To See

6. Back To Top    #6

+1 on not one penny more and I wouldn't be quite as kind as discussing 'how much to deduct'. I would be wanting a refund.
    Pool: IG 22k- 16x32 clipped corners- vinyl liner, w/ a great board. Built in 3/99, new to me 2/2011.
    Equip: Hayward 3600 DE filter, Hayward CL-200 Chlorinator (empty since 7/5/2013).
    K-2006 Test kit with Speedstir
    Located in Cincinnati, OH. TFP lurker since 9/2011, BBB interested since 5/2012 and converted 7/2013.

7. Back To Top    #7

Tell the pb that after talking with your attorney he/she advised you to pay nothing and they advised you that you have a claim against them. I wouldn't argue with him. If he's mad just tell him that you will no longer discuss and that everything must via mail. If he's smart he will be glad he got his 90% and you'll never hear from him again. If you do consult an attorney. At that point you can decide if it's worth pursuing with the lawyer or just paying.
    Inground, vinyl liner, 16 x 32 (approx. 21k gallons), roman end w/ bench, 2 Jandy LED lights
    Pump: Jandy Flopro, 1.5 hp Heater: Raypak, 266k btu (P-R266-A-EN-C; nat gas) Filter: Jandy C340 (cartridge filter) Robot: Doheny's Dolphin Discovery

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for your feedback. We're not fuming anymore, it's just too exhausting and our blood pressure couldn't hack it! I'm glad you agree that we shouldn't pay anything more. I think that's appropriate considering. We do have a beautiful pool in spite of the problems! I'll post some photos soon.
    Thanks again.

Shotcrete IG, 880 sq. ft., 32,000 gallons,, 3.5 - 5.5 deep, SWG, Jandy 140000 Heat Pump, 1 1/2 HP Jandy, 36 sq. ft. DE Jandy filter with an attached spa

9. Back To Top    #9

10. Back To Top    #10

Oh wow! That is fab!

I am packing my stuff and moving now!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

A beautiful, beautiful pool in a glorious setting! Your pool design is the perfect compliment to its surroundings and views. And visa versa...

If my son could see your pictures, he would be on the first flight out of Houston. His favorite relaxation is puffing on a good cigar while watching the sun set. Don't worry, I won't share these photos with him!

Hoping the frustrations of those 54 weeks drift away on gentle breezes. Take care! Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

12. Back To Top    #12

Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

13. Back To Top    #13

looks great but being as off as you state, it's time he compensate YOU for the reduction in size, workmanship and taking over a year!
    Chris - aka cwescapexlt4x4
    (Build 8/26/14 - 10/17/14) in-ground Presidential Pools 15K gallon salt water pool Pentair Inteiliflo pump, Regal Blue Pebble, Clean & Clear filter, in-floor cleaning,
    LED light, 3' sheer spill, 2 benches, large Baja step. / Pergola by Booth Built 19W x 14D // Outdoor Kitchen, W/Primo grill and BBQ Coach kit for the island.

14. Back To Top    #14

Looks great enjoy
    34x48 40,000 gal mt lake concrete wall vinyl lined pool,gli 28 mil blk granite liner w/sure-step, pentair easy touch 8 w/screen logic,pentair fnsp 48 filter,2 pentair intellichlor vs pumps, pentair intellichlor ic60, 3 pentair led intellibrate 5g lights, 4 pentair magic stream Laminars, 12 ton moss rock waterfall

15. Back To Top    #15

Looks great. Love the keys.....
    Plano, TX
    20,000 gallons Kidney Bean IG Plaster, Pentair Clean and Clear 530 Cartridge Filter

16. Back To Top    #16

What a gorgeous setting. I would feel just like you, but that beautiful scenery sure would make it feel better. How nice.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

17. Back To Top    #17

Oh wow!!! What a nice place to enjoy your pool.
    21.5K gallons... 65' x 9' Shotcrete Inground Lap Pool... 3'.5" to 6.5" Depth...9' by 7" Wet Deck... Hayward all the way... 2 L.E.D lights...Pebble Sheen Aqua Blue...And above all....LOVING IT!!!!!!

18. Back To Top    #18

We go down the keys every year. Spend time in Largo, Tavernier, Islamorada, Marathon, Big Pine and, obviously, Key West. Love every inch of that island chain. Where are you located? As for your pool height not matching the deck, in the long run, you may like that. When a tropical storm decides to swing by, the tidal flood may be blocked by that elevated coping.
    Doughboy 12' x 20' Saphire semi-AG, Installed 2012
    Waterway 1.5 HP 2 speed, 100 sqft cartridge filter
    Aprox 7000 Gal, Full sun, 85K heat pump,
    TF-100 test kit

19. Back To Top    #19

Thanks for your comments. We are on Sugarloaf Key, mile marker 17. Yes we wanted the elevated coping for just that reason but we wanted the pool deck to match the height of the existing slab. But we are enjoying the pool and the setting so much it's hard to gear up for the fight with the PB. It kinda takes the fight out of you, if you know what I mean.

20. Back To Top    #20

I agree with several of the previous posters: (a) beautiful setting, and (b) you should be entitled to compensation for failure to deliver. At a minimum, you should seek the advice of counsel in what a potential claim would be for the shortcomings on your build. It's my (uneducated) opinion that you are owed a 40% refund of your monies owed. You expected a swimming pool; you received a wading pool. You expected it to be completed on time; it was completed at a 300% delay. I'm not a litigious person, but I would have been on the phone months ago in your situation.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast