Who levels pool during build?

dtrujillo63

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 25, 2015
Los Angeles
I'm curious, who is suppose to level the pool during the build process? I can't imagine the steel guys setting the rebar perfectly level. Is it safe to assume that the gunite guys do the final level when they're troweling the pool? Should I expect the pool shell to be perfectly level after gunite or is a little variance common?

Variance is common. Everyone is leveling as they go, wood frame, rebar, gunite. The critical level point is the waterline tile. That will be set correctly and then the coping is usually level as well. But, the only one that your eye will see if it is off is the waterline tile.

Normally there is either a wooden rim or a string line placed around the hole (once it is dug out) and that rim/string is carefully leveled. The rebar and gunite people base their work on that wooden rim/string. Then the tile people (if you have water line tile) do their own leveling because any errors in the tile are just so obvious once the pool is complete.

My excavation company did the initial leveling. They based it on the highest point of my existing patio and what type of coping I was planning on doing. (Pour in place cantilever) some coping is thicker than others so this comes into play with drainage/slope. My gunite company also leveled their work as needed, and the concrete guys who poured the coping and deck did the same during the prep work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.