Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Who levels pool during build?

1. Back To Top    #1

Who levels pool during build?

I'm curious, who is suppose to level the pool during the build process? I can't imagine the steel guys setting the rebar perfectly level. Is it safe to assume that the gunite guys do the final level when they're troweling the pool? Should I expect the pool shell to be perfectly level after gunite or is a little variance common?
    30 x 20 IG Play Pool + 7' Spa ~16K Gallons, French Gray Plaster, Pentair Intelliflow VS, Pentair CCP420, Pentair MasterTemp 400K Heater, Intellibrite LEDs.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Who levels pool during build?

Variance is common. Everyone is leveling as they go, wood frame, rebar, gunite. The critical level point is the waterline tile. That will be set correctly and then the coping is usually level as well. But, the only one that your eye will see if it is off is the waterline tile.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Normally there is either a wooden rim or a string line placed around the hole (once it is dug out) and that rim/string is carefully leveled. The rebar and gunite people base their work on that wooden rim/string. Then the tile people (if you have water line tile) do their own leveling because any errors in the tile are just so obvious once the pool is complete.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

This wooden rim. It is leveled with a transit level.

dig 012 med.jpg
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

My excavation company did the initial leveling. They based it on the highest point of my existing patio and what type of coping I was planning on doing. (Pour in place cantilever) some coping is thicker than others so this comes into play with drainage/slope. My gunite company also leveled their work as needed, and the concrete guys who poured the coping and deck did the same during the prep work.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Thanks everyone. This is good information to know. And just in time since our tile work is around the corner. Take care! Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir