Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heat pump sizing for small temp increase

1. Back To Top    #1

Heat pump sizing for small temp increase

Folks, please bear with me for a second here, I know its just about another thread about heat pump sizing....

Here's my dilemma. Because I have autocover and keep the pool covered between uses im typically able to keep the temps up well throughout the summer. Pretty much always above 80 all the way into beginning of October, but sometimes you just want those couple of extra degrees, therefore im getting the heat pump.
    But I just can't make up my mind on the size. If I use the typical formula [total surface area]x[difference in temp wanted]x12, in my case (512x10x12), I get 60k BTU sizing. I don't have a large pool 16x32, around 19k gallons, and I certainly like the 60k BTU option from the cost perspective, but i'm afraid that it may end up being too small and I will end up regretting it later.

Any suggestions? Maybe from personal experiences?
    19200gl rectangular gunite/diamondbrite perl pool || Coverpools auto cover || Jandy variable speed 2hp e-pump & Polaris PB4-60 booster pump || Polaris 3900 sport cleaner || Jandy CV filter || Jandy AqualinkRS8 w/Aqualink touch || Jandy iAqualink2.0 || Jandy Watercolors LED || Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWCG || Hayward auto chlorinator (backup) || Raypak 117k BTU heat pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heat pump sizing for small temp increase

i have the same size pool get one thats over 100,000 btu.It will run less and you can time it to run during the warmer parts of the day when it's most efficient.
    16x32 vinyl ig with foxguard steel walls,gli liner ,hayward de filter,hayward heatpro heat pump,hayward colorlogic 4.0 led.pentair circular weir skimmers.hayward sharkvac xl robot,gli mesh cover.polk atrium speakers,sonos music system.erie pa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Loudonno View Post
    i have the same size pool get one thats over 100,000 btu.It will run less and you can time it to run during the warmer parts of the day when it's most efficient.
    Thanks, which one do you have? I'm looking at Raypack Rheem/Ruud heat pumps.

19200gl rectangular gunite/diamondbrite perl pool || Coverpools auto cover || Jandy variable speed 2hp e-pump & Polaris PB4-60 booster pump || Polaris 3900 sport cleaner || Jandy CV filter || Jandy AqualinkRS8 w/Aqualink touch || Jandy iAqualink2.0 || Jandy Watercolors LED || Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWCG || Hayward auto chlorinator (backup) || Raypak 117k BTU heat pump

4. Back To Top    #4

i have a hayward heat pro I think it was 2500.00. Works great.They are basically an ac unit,I think all of the brands that are ahri certified should perform similar.
    16x32 vinyl ig with foxguard steel walls,gli liner ,hayward de filter,hayward heatpro heat pump,hayward colorlogic 4.0 led.pentair circular weir skimmers.hayward sharkvac xl robot,gli mesh cover.polk atrium speakers,sonos music system.erie pa.

5. Back To Top    #5

i have a hayward heat pro I think it was 2500.00. Works great.They are basically an ac unit,I think all of the brands that are ahri certified should perform similar.
    Thanks. I think buying one right around 100k is the way to go. No just need to find the best prices.

6. Back To Top    #6

Btw mine is rated at 110,000 and keeps my pool at 88 from may thru sept if i cover it when not in use.

7. Back To Top    #7

Btw mine is rated at 110,000 and keeps my pool at 88 from may thru sept if i cover it when not in use.
    Perfect. Exactly what I needed to hear. How's the electric bill?

8. Back To Top    #8

Its about 90-100 during fringe months and 50-75 during the warmer months.Keep in mind im including the filtration pump in this cost...not sure how i could seperate the cost of the 2. .12kwh and i do cover the pool as soon as i get out.My neighbor uses propane on a similar sized pool and last season went through 1300.00 just for the pool yikes!

9. Back To Top    #9

Its about 90-100 during fringe months and 50-75 during the warmer months.Keep in mind im including the filtration pump in this cost...not sure how i could seperate the cost of the 2. .12kwh and i do cover the pool as soon as i get out.My neighbor uses propane on a similar sized pool and last season went through 1300.00 just for the pool yikes!
    That's not bad at all. But... $1300, holly ****. I was initially considering going gas, but the fact that I only need heat from a very supplemental perspective, few degrees here and there, made me sway towards the heat pump. Not to mention, huge cost to run up NG to my pool, including upgrading the meter.

So, at this point of time I'm narrowed down to Hayward HP21104T, 110k BTU or Raypak HP21104T, 117k BTU, The prices are almost the same right around $2500. I have two friends who have Raypak heat pumps and love them, but Hayward has more all around reviews which in general are very good. Touch choice.... any suggestions from anyone?

10. Back To Top    #10

I have the hayward, going on 4 yrs no problems.im sure the raypak is a good unit also.

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks for all the feedback Lou. I pulled the trigger on the raypak 117k btu yesterday. It was a touch choice between that one and a Hayward heat pro, as both got great reviews, but I got two friends with the same unit and they love it. Also talked to a HVAC tech buddy I have and he recommended raypak was well, said, this is what the company specializes in and their HVAC products are very reliable and easy to work on. So looks like I will have heat right at the pool opening, 10 days from now!

12. Back To Top    #12

So yesterday installed my new heat pump (Raypak, 117k BTU). Took me all day to get all the plumbing and electrical done, but, man, what a difference already. In less then 24 hours I have 9 degree temp rise. Having an auto cover to minimize the heat loss Ofcourse helps quiet a bit. Kids and wife are loving it, wife *****ed a bit before about spending money on the heat pump, as we don't really need it all that much throughout the summer, like I said it's more of a few degrees here, few degrees there type a deal, but I certainly not hearing her complain today!

13. Back To Top    #13

Glad to hear it,i have been swimming in 88 degree water since may first.Definetly need a heater in my climate, To me it was worth the money because the pool itself was such a big investment.With the heat pump we will be able to use it more often.

14. Back To Top    #14

Heat pump sizing for small temp increase

Glad to hear it,i have been swimming in 88 degree water since may first.Definetly need a heater in my climate, To me it was worth the money because the pool itself was such a big investment.With the heat pump we will be able to use it more often.
    I agree 100%. I think it's worth every penny, now as I have it. Just the point that you don't have to be reliant on the weather and be in control of your fun is everything. I tend to open my pool early as well (late April, early May) and typically I'd be waiting for at least several weeks for the water to reach the desired temperature, so why wait? Like you said, the pool is a big investment and we had some very nice and hot weather this may, but the pool was still cold, and it really sucks that it's 85 outside but your water is still in the 70s.
    We actually would have been swimming two weeks ago, but unfortunately my first heat pump came in damaged, so it had to be returned and it added another two weeks, but all is good now

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Congrats on the heat pump! We are at 76 so I can appreciate the difference. Still swimming but 86 it ain't.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!