Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding filter aide to cartridge filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding filter aide to cartridge filter?

Quote Originally Posted by Hayward Pool View Post
    Hi, cartridge filters when clean filter at approximately 20 microns. As they get dirty the filter down to a smaller micron. My concern is dead algae and very light dust that is 20 microns or smaller. Dead algae is under 20 microns. Always let a sand and cartridge filter get dirty as it becomes a better filter and will filter down to 10 microns using the dirt on the element to help filter. I recommend using a filter additive that will bring the smaller particles together and allow a clean filter to filter them out. I see this dust problem all the time in the desert (Palm Springs. ). Always wait until the pressure on the filter rises 8-10 lbs. before cleaning. Some people add a little DE to the filter to help but I am not a fan of this but many say it works.
    I did not know this, and this would seem to explain a similar problem I was experiencing last year. It seemed that dead algae was simply bypassing the filter, yet detailed inspection showed no damage to the pleats, and it doesn't seem possible to close the filter housing if the cartridge is improperly seated. As I vacuumed my water would get extremely cloudy and I could see it was originating from the return. It is to the point where I am considering just scrapping the current filter and getting a new one in hopes that would solve the problem.

But a filter additive is something I might try. Or perhaps letting it get really dirty. Hard to keep track of the pressure because those cheap little gauges seems to only last a few weeks, and I have been unable to find a liquid version that will fit my filter housing.

What is this filter additive?
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Filter won't catch dirt

As for pressure gauges the ones with the filter and the ones you buy at the pool store never seem to last. I always search out a better gauge and pay the money.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Hayward Pool View Post
    As for pressure gauges the ones with the filter and the ones you buy at the pool store never seem to last. I always search out a better gauge and pay the money.
    Funny that you say that ... so why doesn't Hayward package a better glycerin filled gauge (with a more reasonable pressure range) with their filters? Make it a selling point. Could not cost them more than a few dollars more.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

This is a great suggestion. I will make sure to pass it along!
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com

5. Back To Top    #5

I have not been able to find a glycerin filled gauge that fits. They are all too large.

Can you give me the name of the filter additive you refer to? I could not find with a google search.
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: Adding filter aide to cartridge filter?

Have you checked the gauges at tftestkits.net?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Cellulose based filter media can be added to a cartridge filter to improve filtering. Usually this is not needed as cartridges are generally fine on their own, but if you are going to add something, use a cellulose product rather than DE. Some common cellulose media brand names (just what I remember, not specific recommendations) include FiberClear, Purifiber, and The Filter Fiber Stuff.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Jason - thanks, I may give that a shot because I was left totally baffled last year as to why dead algae seemed to bypass my cartridge filter.

pooldv - I have, and even ordered one last year but it was too large.