What do I need?!

Feb 24, 2015
Eugene, OR
I bought a house last year with a AGP (listed below). It needs the new liner put in which I am going to do in a few weeks along with hooking up the new pump and filter.
I have ZERO chemicals, after reading on here a lot I am probably going to do the bleach thing like everyone else.

But I want to know what else I need and what do I do after filling the pool for the first time.

Thanks!

Sure it does. Based on the test results of your fill water and knowing the target levels ... PoolMath tells you exactly what you need.

Without test results, all we really know you will need is stabilizer (CYA) and bleach.

For equipment:
A test kit
A pole
A brush head
A leaf skimmer
A vacuum setup. If your new filter setup includes a skimmer, then at bare minimum a hose and a vacuum head. Don't ask me for advice about any other types, since that's all I have personal experience with.
A measuring cup of some sort

For Chemistry:
A test kit (detect a pattern?)
Bleach. Don't bother stockpiling a bunch, because it degrades with time and temperature. You may end up with jugs of some very expensive water if it sits too long.
Stabilizer aka CYA. How much is easy to figure. Just plug your pool size into poolmath and let it calculate the volume. Thenn use that at the top and see how much CYA you need to get from zero (tap water) to 50.

Depending on your fill water you will need either acid or Borax or washing soda to fix PH, and maybe Baking Soda. The only way to know for sure is to test it.

For now, content yourself with shopping for equipment and determining which stores in your area have the best prices and who actually stocks the stuff you might need. Then you won't be rushing around frantically once the pool is full.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.