Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What do I need?!

1. Back To Top    #1

Question What do I need?!

I bought a house last year with a AGP (listed below). It needs the new liner put in which I am going to do in a few weeks along with hooking up the new pump and filter.
    I have ZERO chemicals, after reading on here a lot I am probably going to do the bleach thing like everyone else.

But I want to know what else I need and what do I do after filling the pool for the first time.

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What do I need?!

TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

I've read through all that. Doesn't tell me what I need to buy and have ready.
    Lomart 18x48 AGP 7000Gal
    Hayward S210T w/Hayward 1hp Power-Flo Matrix Pump 2-Speed
    TF-100 w/Speedstir!

4. Back To Top    #4

Sure it does. Based on the test results of your fill water and knowing the target levels ... PoolMath tells you exactly what you need.

Without test results, all we really know you will need is stabilizer (CYA) and bleach.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

For equipment:
    A test kit
    A pole
    A brush head
    A leaf skimmer
    A vacuum setup. If your new filter setup includes a skimmer, then at bare minimum a hose and a vacuum head. Don't ask me for advice about any other types, since that's all I have personal experience with.
    A measuring cup of some sort

For Chemistry:
    A test kit (detect a pattern?)
    Bleach. Don't bother stockpiling a bunch, because it degrades with time and temperature. You may end up with jugs of some very expensive water if it sits too long.
    Stabilizer aka CYA. How much is easy to figure. Just plug your pool size into poolmath and let it calculate the volume. Thenn use that at the top and see how much CYA you need to get from zero (tap water) to 50.

Depending on your fill water you will need either acid or Borax or washing soda to fix PH, and maybe Baking Soda. The only way to know for sure is to test it.

For now, content yourself with shopping for equipment and determining which stores in your area have the best prices and who actually stocks the stuff you might need. Then you won't be rushing around frantically once the pool is full.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Exactly what I needed. Thank you Richard320!
    Lomart 18x48 AGP 7000Gal
    TF-100 w/Speedstir!

7. Back To Top    #7

Hey, I just found a handy new information packed article in pool school. Recommended Pool Chemicals.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

I saw that, Thanks!
    This also was very helpful http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-for-Beginners
    Lomart 18x48 AGP 7000Gal
    TF-100 w/Speedstir!

9. Back To Top    #9

good one, added to my tool box.
    TFP Moderator