Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae?

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae?

Whenever I vacuum my pool within a few days I see what appears to be a handful of algae spots show up in areas such as next to wrinkles in the liner or seams. They are a yellowish / green in color. Some vacuum up like "dust", others need 1 light scrub with the vacuum head to remove them. The spots take several days to come back and always in the same spots. Once they are back, they don't appear to "grow" in size.

Test numbers have been:

FC 6.5
    CC 0 - .5
    PH 7.5
    CYA 80
    TA 120
    CA 175
    Temp 68 - 72

To maintain my FC, I am currently running my filter 4 hours a day with my SWG set at 36%.

The water was crystal clear when I removed the cover. I scrubbed and vacuumed the pool and added enough granular chlorine to bring the FC level up to 31 which took many days to drop to "normal levels".

Question, if this is algae I really don't want to slam the pool, once I get into the pool would rubbing a chlorine puck on it over several days kill it?
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae?

Why not SLAM the pool? You have algae in your water. It is settling on the wrinkles and growing. You need to SLAM to kill it. The puck will rub it off just like your vacuum head but it will not kill what is in the water.

Good luck!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I just dealt with something similar. I was increasing my SWG output daily to keep up with a higher-than-usual chlorine demand. I thought for a few days I was losing the salt cell until I noticed small yellowish spots on the steps. Given the chlorine demand I slammed, then slammed to mustard algae level to be safe, and all seems well. Albeit, I'm running a FC close to 20 ppm as it slowly comes down to normal.

All that said, yours could likely be pollen, not algae. My tip off was the quick and overnight chlorine loss, but your setup seems to be running efficiently (4 hours at 36%).
    18'x9', IG, Plaster, AutoPilot Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWG (RC-35/22 Cell), 1 HP Sta-Rite Dyna-Glas Pump, Sta-Rite PXC75 Posi-Clear Cartridge System, AquaCal Heatwave Heat Pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

When you can't determine whether or not you have algae, the OCLT (in Pool School) is often the best tool.

Shut off your SWG for the evening and perform that test and post the results.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

OCLT results

8:00 pm (3 hours after filter run)

FC 7.0
    CC .5
    PH 7.5
    CYA 80

7:30 ( 1.5 hours before filter run)

FC 5.0
    CC 1.5
    PH 7.5

I guess I have to SLAM it.
    Steve

6. Back To Top    #6

That's ok, it shouldn't be too bad. Just hit it until you are done, follow SLAM procedure, and keep up with FC from here out. We can help if you need it, so ask questions when you have them.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

Should I turn off the SWG during the SLAM process? I don't think the process would hurt it but, it might keep the FC levels artificially high.
    Steve

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Propbndr View Post
    Should I turn off the SWG during the SLAM process? I don't think the process would hurt it but, it might keep the FC levels artificially high.
    I kept mine off so I could get true readings of what my FC levels were.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

9. Back To Top    #9

Something weird happened. Pool Math calculated I needed 612 oz of 8.25% chlorine to raise FC from 7.5 (tested twice to be sure) to a shock value 31. I added 5 - 121oz jugs of bleach. Much to much to my surprise testing the next morning show a 55 to 60 value. I tested 6 times from 6 different areas of the pool to be sure. Testing was done using a brand new TF-100 kit.

Using Pool Math, I would have needed to add 1237 oz to get a rise to 55. Even if I made a mistake and added 4 - 128 oz jugs, the rise would only be to 33.

Any ideas of what the heck could have happened?
    Steve

10. Back To Top    #10

My guess is that your gallons are off. Try measuring your pool again and see how many gallons it is.

Just an idea.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Used Poolcalculator.com. It says that my pool, which is 32' X 16', shallow end 3', deep end 6' holds 17200 gallons. I used 17260, which was given me by another pool volume calculator site.

I am really trying to get my head around this colossal screw up but, I guess there won't be any algae (or anything else for that matter) alive in my pool when the level gets to normal, probably sometime in July.
    Last edited by Propbndr; 04-25-2015 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Removed incorrect info.
    Steve

12. Back To Top    #12

I am stumped! I had high hopes.........

Okay a silly thought but it happened to someone else so I am going to throw it out there. What did you get the water out of the pool with? We had one person use the same cup they used to put the chlorine and shock (when they stilled used it) in with. Of course they read WAY high.

Kim

13. Back To Top    #13

I use a measuring cup that is used for nothing else but testing. But, even if I used it to measure bleach, I rinsed it out and got a fresh sample 6 separate times from 6 different areas of the pool. Logic would dictate that after 6 rinsings that any residual bleach would be gone.

I will have to try a clean mason jar I have
    Steve

14. Back To Top    #14

I was running through the math on PoolMath to see what I could see. Changing from rectangle to oval and depth from 4.5' to 4' gives a volume of 13,700 gallons. 605 oz of 8.25% bleach would raise FC by 29, which would give you 36.5. Still not close to 55.

I don't have any other ideas.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

15. Back To Top    #15

The only thing I can think of now is you got some SUPER bleach!

I cannot find the bucket test for measure your bleach. I will keep looking. Hopefully someone will come along that knows right where it is.

Kim

16. Back To Top    #16
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

17. Back To Top    #17

Bump, any other ideas?
    Steve