Bleached Areas on Vinyl Liner

amccleskey

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 13, 2014
Sugar Hill, GA
FC 10 (currently SLAMing for my pool opening)
CC .5
PH 7.4
TA 80
CH 40
CYA 20 (working on raising to 40)

Before transitioning to TFP August of last year I followed the advice of my local pool store and had been told to scatter the granular chlorine I bought from them in the deep end of my pool and then brush until it was dissolved. Over time I noticed bleach spots starting to develop around the main drain and a small spot at the edge of the deep end. At first they weren't bad and once I noticed them I stopped scattering the chlorine directly in the deep end, but they've continued to worsen over time. I now follow TFP and use bleach and pour it in slowly in front of the jet in my deep end. I've noticed though that the bleach spots are still continuing to worsen to the point that the area around my main drain is pretty much bleached white and almost seems to be growing. (It's not pretty. I'm thinking of buying one of the drop-in decal mats to try and hide it.)

I'm curious if I should be doing something differently or if it's just that once bleach spots start those areas continue to lose their color easily. I have had to do a few SLAMs since starting with TFP so the liner has been exposed to elevated levels of chlorine at those times, otherwise, I try to keep it at the target level for my CYA reading.

Following the methods we recommend (including the SLAM process) should not cause any damage to your liner. The pool store did you no favors and thus have damaged your liner. I can only think that the previous actions affected the integrity of the liner and now it continues to worsen.

Never hurts to run a brush over the bottom after adding chemicals to ensure it is well mixed.

Thanks for your reply jblizzle. I will start brushing after chemical addtions. As a first time pool owner there was a lot of trial and error prior to finding TFP, so the damage had already been done. I just didn't expect the liner to continue bleaching in those areas and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

I only wish I had found TFP sooner. Frustrating to have sparkling water and an ugly liner, but at least I'm here now. I love the BBB method and am so happy to be free of the pool stores. The forum has helped me clear an out of control pool with constant algae problems...and now I'm gearing up for the latest challenge...metal staining.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.