Hayward Aquarite Flow Sensor- Two cut in a Week!

jsv

Apr 21, 2015
Franklin, TN
I had the No Flow error on the control panel. Upon inspection, I noticed the grey flow sensor wire was cut, in two places. I had the pool company come out two days ago and replace it. I came home today, and the new one is cut now too. Anyone else have trouble with these being cut? All I can figure is its either an animal doing it or a TO'ed neighbor. We've had issue with the neighbors before over the pool so that is my first instinct although there's a lot more damage they could do than just cutting this tiny wire, which brings me to my second point...why in the world is this wire so tiny and thin? For something that is to be used outdoors, its the smallest wire ever. I know my issue is not weedeater related as its way back on the pad away from any grass but theres no way this would stand up against a weedeater for two seconds. Sort of ridiculous how flimsy this wire is. Any thoughts on the cause, how to make this more rigid, or how to protect it would be appreciated. I tried splicing the wires but they are far too brittle for me to splice, the black wire kept snapping before I could even twist them together. Filed a police report to be on the safe side. The cop thought it was probably an animal, I still think its the neighbor but who knows.

I would suspect an animal or weedeater.

I'll try to post a pic tomorrow. I ruled the weed eater out, haven't had any lawn work done in the past couple of days. The wire is way back on the pad away from any grass as well. Found these on Amazon for $40. Wish Hayward would make the wires thicker. Guess I need to buy in bulk. Going to wrap the next one, hopefully it lasts longer.

The wires can be soldered back together. Maybe you could put up a cheap security camera that has infrared night vision.

James is right on...if you can install a motion activated camera in a hidden place, that will provide your source, plus it is the evidence you need for your report. Either way, you need to know either n-bor or animal?

Great idea. I found a highly rated Bushnell one on anazon for around $80. How small of an animal will these detect? If its a squirrel or rabbit, hopefully it will trigger it. I'm also going to wrap the new wire in electrical tape the entire length and put it inside one of those split plastic coils and tape that shut. That should rule an animal out if it happens a third time.

Great idea. I found a highly rated Bushnell one on anazon for around $80. How small of an animal will these detect? If its a squirrel or rabbit, hopefully it will trigger it. I'm also going to wrap the new wire in electrical tape the entire length and put it inside one of those split plastic coils and tape that shut. That should rule an animal out if it happens a third time.
They are generally designed for game hunters (deer and the like) so I'm not sure if a squirrel will set it off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, the first time it was cut in two spots, both clean slices. The second time it was cut once with another clean slice but there were two more knick marks near the cut. Just let home depot with the flex tubing and heavy duty tape. We'll see. Thanks for your replies, will keep you posted.

I got the part today, although it says "Hayward GLX-FLO-RP" on the site, I received "Harwil Q-12DS-C2". They look the same to me but the one the pool company put in that was cut actually has "Hayward GLX-FLO-RP" on the label. Is this the same part just a genetic replacement? A little misleading that they would sell it as an actual Hayward part and send a generic but as long as it works I guess I don't really care. Pool company charged me $200 for the part and $85 labor.

Link to amazon for the part I ordered...

http://smile.amazon.com/Hayward-GLX...429969372&sr=8-1&keywords=Hayward+Flow+Sensor

Also, I thought I would change this part out myself, seems easy enough. I turned off the pump and closed the same two valves the pool guy did but when I unscrewed the original flow sensor, water started spewing out of the pipe. I don't recall that happening when they replaced it last time. Is that normal until I can get the replacement one put in? I chickened out and screwed the cut one back into place, didn't want to mess anything up.

Thanks again

The "generic" part thing has happened to me a couple of times. Last time I emailed Amazon about the issue and they credited my credit card within a few hours because it was not as described.

Now, if you look to use it you may tough it out and replace with leaking water, or figure out where the water is coming from. In my case in addition to the valves I have to set my filter multi valve to closed or water will back flow out.

you could put it through this and there will be no way it would get cut or chewed..

http://www.lowes.com/pd_240411-295-...L=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

032886045998lg.jpg

I like the idea of putting it in armored cable like that. That will take care of the varmints.

If the cuts were clean, you likely have a bad neighbor. Hide the trail camera in a good spot where it cannot be seen easily by the culprit (if it is human) or they will just take that too. One that will upload to the web or send pics to a smartphone would be cool as well.

And when you get it on camera call the cops and have the *** arrested for criminal trespass and damage to property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmmm......I'm still using the original flow sensor that came with my Aqua Rite SWCG (installed in early 2004). I do handle it carefully and haven't had any issues with it being too fragile.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.