Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Aquarite Flow Sensor- Two cut in a Week!

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Aquarite Flow Sensor- Two cut in a Week!

I had the No Flow error on the control panel. Upon inspection, I noticed the grey flow sensor wire was cut, in two places. I had the pool company come out two days ago and replace it. I came home today, and the new one is cut now too. Anyone else have trouble with these being cut? All I can figure is its either an animal doing it or a TO'ed neighbor. We've had issue with the neighbors before over the pool so that is my first instinct although there's a lot more damage they could do than just cutting this tiny wire, which brings me to my second point...why in the world is this wire so tiny and thin? For something that is to be used outdoors, its the smallest wire ever. I know my issue is not weedeater related as its way back on the pad away from any grass but theres no way this would stand up against a weedeater for two seconds. Sort of ridiculous how flimsy this wire is. Any thoughts on the cause, how to make this more rigid, or how to protect it would be appreciated. I tried splicing the wires but they are far too brittle for me to splice, the black wire kept snapping before I could even twist them together. Filed a police report to be on the safe side. The cop thought it was probably an animal, I still think its the neighbor but who knows.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Aquarite Flow Sensor- Two cut in a Week!

Can you post a picture?

3. Back To Top    #3

I would suspect an animal or weedeater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    I would suspect an animal or weedeater.
    I'll try to post a pic tomorrow. I ruled the weed eater out, haven't had any lawn work done in the past couple of days. The wire is way back on the pad away from any grass as well. Found these on Amazon for $40. Wish Hayward would make the wires thicker. Guess I need to buy in bulk. Going to wrap the next one, hopefully it lasts longer.

5. Back To Top    #5

The wires can be soldered back together. Maybe you could put up a cheap security camera that has infrared night vision.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    The wires can be soldered back together. Maybe you could put up a cheap security camera that has infrared night vision.
    James is right on...if you can install a motion activated camera in a hidden place, that will provide your source, plus it is the evidence you need for your report. Either way, you need to know either n-bor or animal?

7. Back To Top    #7

Even an inexpensive game camera will be motion activated and get you photos of what is happening.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

Great idea. I found a highly rated Bushnell one on anazon for around $80. How small of an animal will these detect? If its a squirrel or rabbit, hopefully it will trigger it. I'm also going to wrap the new wire in electrical tape the entire length and put it inside one of those split plastic coils and tape that shut. That should rule an animal out if it happens a third time.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jsv View Post
    Great idea. I found a highly rated Bushnell one on anazon for around $80. How small of an animal will these detect? If its a squirrel or rabbit, hopefully it will trigger it. I'm also going to wrap the new wire in electrical tape the entire length and put it inside one of those split plastic coils and tape that shut. That should rule an animal out if it happens a third time.
    They are generally designed for game hunters (deer and the like) so I'm not sure if a squirrel will set it off.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

10. Back To Top    #10

I mean is it a clean slice in the wire ??? If yes, I'm thinking no animal.
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes, the first time it was cut in two spots, both clean slices. The second time it was cut once with another clean slice but there were two more knick marks near the cut. Just let home depot with the flex tubing and heavy duty tape. We'll see. Thanks for your replies, will keep you posted.

12. Back To Top    #12

I got the part today, although it says "Hayward GLX-FLO-RP" on the site, I received "Harwil Q-12DS-C2". They look the same to me but the one the pool company put in that was cut actually has "Hayward GLX-FLO-RP" on the label. Is this the same part just a genetic replacement? A little misleading that they would sell it as an actual Hayward part and send a generic but as long as it works I guess I don't really care. Pool company charged me $200 for the part and $85 labor.

Link to amazon for the part I ordered...

http://smile.amazon.com/Hayward-GLX-...rd+Flow+Sensor

Also, I thought I would change this part out myself, seems easy enough. I turned off the pump and closed the same two valves the pool guy did but when I unscrewed the original flow sensor, water started spewing out of the pipe. I don't recall that happening when they replaced it last time. Is that normal until I can get the replacement one put in? I chickened out and screwed the cut one back into place, didn't want to mess anything up.

Thanks again

13. Back To Top    #13

The "generic" part thing has happened to me a couple of times. Last time I emailed Amazon about the issue and they credited my credit card within a few hours because it was not as described.

Now, if you look to use it you may tough it out and replace with leaking water, or figure out where the water is coming from. In my case in addition to the valves I have to set my filter multi valve to closed or water will back flow out.

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

you could put it through this and there will be no way it would get cut or chewed..

http://www.lowes.com/pd_240411-295-5...7C1&facetInfo=

Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

I like cowboycasey's idea. The wire is low voltage and having a bigger wire could cause resistance. Splicing the wire back together is ok.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com

16. Back To Top    #16

I like the idea of putting it in armored cable like that. That will take care of the varmints.

If the cuts were clean, you likely have a bad neighbor. Hide the trail camera in a good spot where it cannot be seen easily by the culprit (if it is human) or they will just take that too. One that will upload to the web or send pics to a smartphone would be cool as well.

And when you get it on camera call the cops and have the *** arrested for criminal trespass and damage to property.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Hayward Pool View Post
    The wire is low voltage and having a bigger wire could cause resistance.
    Larger wire generally has lower resistance than smaller wire. Longer wire would have more resistance.

18. Back To Top    #18

Hmmmm......I'm still using the original flow sensor that came with my Aqua Rite SWCG (installed in early 2004). I do handle it carefully and haven't had any issues with it being too fragile.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry

All I can say is that people have spliced larger wire with problems.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com