Are some kinds of sand better than others?

Apr 16, 2013
Eatonton Georgia
I'm about to have a sand filter delivered here Friday and was looking at local sources for filter sand. There are hardly any pool stores around this area and I'd prefer to stay out of them anyway. What I've found online is a local Home Depot advertising "Quikrete" pool sand for about 6 bucks for a 50 lb. bag. Then there is an Ace Hardware advertising "HTH" sand for around 12 to 13 bucks a bag. Normally I'd just buy the cheaper alternative but then I saw some reviews of people saying the "Quikrete" was too fine and was getting into their pools. Others were claiming it was great stuff and the folks having problems didn't know what they were doing. Blah Blah Blah.... The HTH seemed to have more favorable reviews on the other site. I don't mind paying extra unless it's just crazy but are there really some brands better than others?
Michael

Sand is sand but it should be properly sized pool sand, not beach or sandbox sand. I also heard some unfavorable reviews about the Quikrete sand last year. I ended up buying slightly more expensive sand from a local Ace Hardware store for about $7 a bag when it was on sale. Think it may have been the same HTH brand. Has worked just fine. Had a few finer particles come through after first filling but that went away quickly.

I've heard much worse reviews on average with the Zeobrite sand alternative. Works fine for some, horribly for others.

Also, I think after I bought my sand, Home Depot had some other brand of pool sand instead of Quikrete. Was cheaper than what I bought. >_< I'd go into a store and see if they have that other brand as well, but you'd probably be fine with the Quikrete.

It should be #20 grade silica sand. When you put new sand in the filter be sure to rinse it well before setting it to filter the pool. That should wash any finer grains of sand out of the filter through the waste line.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.