Thread: cya was too high, emptied half of pool and are the numbers now

1. Back To Top    #1

cya was too high, emptied half of pool and are the numbers now

filled pool on Sunday and this is my first test results taken:

PH 6.8
    CC 0
    CYA 40
    TA 40

Couldn't test FC or CC because the powder didn't change the color of the pool water sample. the powder looks darker than I remember it so I guess it went to the bad somehow since last season. Last season was my first year with a pool and I don't have a good memory so can somebody please confirm what I should set the numbers in pool math to and how much of each chemical I need to add right now. Thanks!!!
    Greenville NC
    14,657 gallons IG vinyl pool 14x28
    1HP A.O. Smith Pump Polaris 9550 sport robotic cleaner
    Pentair Tagelus high rate sand filter 04C TA-60/60D

2. Back To Top    #2
    Longview, Texas

Re: cya was too high, emptied half of pool and are the numbers now

have you put any chlorine in the pool since you filled it? I would imagine the powder is good. It says good for a LONG time.

If there is 0 chlorine, then there will not be any pink when you put the powder in.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge. Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Re: cya was too high, emptied half of pool and are the numbers now

The powder is fine. That just means you FC is 0ppm.

You can set the parameters at the bottom of PoolMath and it will list suggested targets for you to enter.

Really all you need to do is raise the pH and TA a little and get some chlorine in the water.
    You could raise the pH with soda ash which would also help the TA and then use baking soda to get the TA up to around 70ppm.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!