Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What's up with my pump ?????

1. Back To Top    #1

What's up with my pump ?????

Hello All,

I connected everything and made sure it was all tight, filled the pump basket with water and loosen the air realize on my filter. I set the valve to filter plugged in the pump and waited for air to escape, air was escaping and water was being pulled from the skimmer/drain (I had the intake valve to 1/2 & 1/2). Once water started to squirt out the filter I closed it and waited for the pump to really start pumping, lol, and waited, and waited.

Water eventually stopped coming into the pump

Any ideas ? I think I still have air in the system.

Thanks for any advice..
    Fatcat07
    In ground pool
    Vinyl Liner
    18 X 36 Pool size
    30,000 Gallons
    Hayward Filter DE2420 - 24 sq ft (I think)
    Hayward pump - Not sure of the model number
    Suffolk, long Island

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What's up with my pump ?????

Do you have any valves on the return pipes that are not open?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

probably still have air in the system. Takes mine a couple of goes to get it all sometimes.

Repeat the first part where water starts coming out the air bleed. Then close the air bleed 10 seconds or so and open it again and see if more air comes out. Repeat that a few times.. open close, open close, and see if that helps.

Also, make sure you pump lid is on tight.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Do you have any valves on the return pipes that are not open?
    No, I have 3 returns but it's funny that you mention the returns. I see water being pumped out only one return, the one closes to the pump ???
    Fatcat07
    In ground pool
    Vinyl Liner
    18 X 36 Pool size
    30,000 Gallons
    Suffolk, long Island

5. Back To Top    #5

I just wanted to make sure there was somewhere for the water to go when it primes.

Check the drains and the pump lid are on good and the seals are lubed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Hello all,

So I was unable to get the pump to get anything but a slow trickle from the skimmers when I move the intake valve to full skimmers, the filter read 0 Psi, when I set the valve to full drain a decent water flow would start and my Psi was up to 5. I had a service call yesterday from the local pool company, after the guy check everything he informed me that I had a issue with the skimmer pipes.

I hope you guys can just verify for me that this is actually a thing, he said the type of PVC tubing that I have is called flex pipe and after time it constricts to the point where it is unusable. He said the only solution is to redo the skimmer pipes which would require him cutting through the concrete, he quoted me a price which would really take a bite out of my wallet since I just purchases a heat pump and still have to pay for the electric to be ran.

So is that something that does happen to pipes ? and If so I am looking for any alternatives to replacing the pipes IE. bigger pump, run the pool with just the drain, etc anything you guys can offer is appreciated ....

Thanks
    Fatcat07
    In ground pool
    Vinyl Liner
    18 X 36 Pool size
    30,000 Gallons
    Suffolk, long Island

7. Back To Top    #7

There is flexible PVC which we generally recommend not using. I suppose there is a chance that the skimmer pipe have gotten crushed to the point where it will not let much water flow through. A bigger pump is not going to help anything if that is the case.

How did he determine everything he said? A camera in the pipes?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

It is possible to get by for a time without any skimmers as long as you get something like the PoolSkim to do the skimming using a return.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    There is flexible PVC which we generally recommend not using. I suppose there is a chance that the skimmer pipe have gotten crushed to the point where it will not let much water flow through. A bigger pump is not going to help anything if that is the case.

How did he determine everything he said? A camera in the pipes?
    No he didn't, which ****** me off he eyeballed it, said he could see it from looking in the skimmer.

The guy charges me $100 for a service call and gets to my house just looks, gives me his opinion and wants to leave, I don't think so, I had him take the system apart and lube/change O rings before he left.

So I am left with 3 options: 1. Changing out the pipes 2. Try to figure out an alternative 3. getting a 2nd opinion .....
    Fatcat07
    In ground pool
    Vinyl Liner
    18 X 36 Pool size
    30,000 Gallons
    Suffolk, long Island

10. Back To Top    #10

If you look down the pipe in the skimmer can you see if it is compressed?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    If you look down the pipe in the skimmer can you see if it is compressed?
    When I look through the skimmer I do see it compressed, not completely it actually looks the way it always has. So it does look compressed but not closed, so if it is a 2 inch pipe I would say it is about 1 1/2 open.
    Fatcat07
    In ground pool
    Vinyl Liner
    18 X 36 Pool size
    30,000 Gallons
    Suffolk, long Island

12. Back To Top    #12

is it just me or does it seem like an awful lot of pool repair people seem lazy?
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by borjis View Post
    is it just me or does it seem like an awful lot of pool repair people seem lazy?
    LOL .... borjis .... I actually hate the fact that they didn't actually investigate and gave me spending thousands of dollars as the only option. I mean if that is actually what it is and my only option I have to fix it seeing how I just bought a new heat pump and paid for the electric to be ran.

Just make sure that is the issue.
    Fatcat07
    In ground pool
    Vinyl Liner
    18 X 36 Pool size
    30,000 Gallons
    Suffolk, long Island