How do you keep the solar cover on?

Wiggledog

LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2013
Souderton, PA
We opened our pool early this year because our winter cover, which we had wired all the way around the pool and then weighted down with milk jugs partially blew off in a wind storm a few weeks ago. Water was in the upper 50,s at that time so we decided to open it and put the solar cover on and start testing the pool again. The winter cover was supposed to be for a 30 foot round pool but I think it was only 31 or 32 feet total and it just did not want to stay on all winter. The water is totally clear.

Up until now we have never really had any trouble keeping our solar cover on. This week I got in the pool and got all the leaves that had blown in from the previous windstorm up and thought that I was ready to go. Last few nights have been on the chilly side and this afternoon another cold front blew through and the solar cover, which we had cut down on one side to a half and then the other side to two quarters to make it easier to manage, blew part way off. Since we have put it on it keeps blowing the cover either partially off or having one of the quarters slide under the other. (By the way, if I were to do it again I would cut it into two halves. The quarters are smaller to handle for such a big cover but they seem to present more problems). Any ideas how to keep the solar cover from having ends blow up and fold over or move under each other would be greatly appreciated.

Never had that problem but maybe consider putting the winter cover on when the storms are going to hit. Maybe it would be heavy enough to keep "stuff" out of the pool.
I hope someone soon will help out with a solution. :confused:

I can't believe you were in your pool wiggledog. It's cold! lol

My cover does not overlap the top rail. It lays flat on top of the water and therfore, never blows off. My cover is cut into three long sections and it works great. When I get a new cover, I will cut it the same way.

Well, we have another windy day today and I was just about to go out now and flip the portion of the cover that had flipped up in the wind back down but lo and behold the wind shifted and it flipped it for me. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.