Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Build in Austin, TX

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Build in Austin, TX

We signed a contract in January and the pool was just finished this past Saturday. It is a 19'x37' free form plaster/pebble pool going from 3.5' to 7' deep. Very excited to have it in time for the hot summer in Austin. It is our first pool and so glad to have found this site to help make properly maintaining the pool much easier. I only wish I had found the site earlier as I think we would have made some different choices when it comes to equipment but that is ok. Can always change it out later. Now on to what you are really interested in, pictures!

IMG_6977.jpg
    IMG_7005.jpg IMG_7004.jpg
    IMG_7010.jpg IMG_1626.jpg
    21k gallon IG free form plaster/pebble pool, pentair FNS Plus DE filter, pentair sta-rite 2hp pump, pentair booster pump, pentair rainbow 320 IC and paramount ultraUV, Pool Build - 2015

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Build in Austin, TX

Smoke Gray Sundek
    IMG_1701.jpg

Tropics Blue plaster w/shells added
    IMG_1709.jpg

Pool with water!
    IMG_1713.jpg
    21k gallon IG free form plaster/pebble pool, pentair FNS Plus DE filter, pentair sta-rite 2hp pump, pentair booster pump, pentair rainbow 320 IC and paramount ultraUV, Pool Build - 2015

3. Back To Top    #3

CONGRATS! Beautiful!
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

4. Back To Top    #4

boy, was that quick! one day?

heard its very expensive to excavate in Austin for the limestone...any truth to this?
    18x36 vinyl / sport pool 5.5' deep / 1.5hp Tri-Star 2spd / Hayward c3030 325 sqft cartridge / ~15k gal / TF100

5. Back To Top    #5

Came out really nice. Congrats. Any plans for the mudhole or is that just going to be grass?
    18k: IG: Black Granite Liner: Aspen: 16x33.5: SWG: Polaris 280

My pool build new-pool-build-in-nh-t60957.html

6. Back To Top    #6

Very nice! Thanks for sharing!
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by doobs41378 View Post
    Came out really nice. Congrats. Any plans for the mudhole or is that just going to be grass?
    Originally it was just going to be grass but we decided to get the decking extended all the way around the pool

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jjwalker View Post
    boy, was that quick! one day?

heard its very expensive to excavate in Austin for the limestone...any truth to this?
    Dont really have any cost to compare it to so cant really say if it is epensive for that. I will say the limestone started after about 3-4 feet of dirt. Took them almost 5 days to finish the excavation. Is that longer than "normal"?

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Congratulations Rgswff!!! What a beautiful pool! Our PB told us yesterday that a pool should be "inviting; it should pull you in", and yours certainly does that!!! I love the graceful lines and the contrast between the coping and decking. What color is your Pebble finish? It's a lovely color and looks great with the waterline tile.

We always considered Austin to be our "home base" while growing up and moving around Texas. Our grandparents and other extended family lived in Austin - roots back to 1861! I got my degree at UT; always wanted to stay and live in Austin. Your photos "take me back". I can almost smell the cedar and feel that Austin summer heat drifting down through the oaks.

And now you have Austin and your own backyard retreat. Keep the pictures coming. We want to see the all the rest, pool toys included. Now summer won't be nearly as hot! Have a great one and take care! Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks. We are really happy with how the pool turned out. The color of the sundek is smoke gray. The waterline tile is aquarius atlantis iceburg blue and the plaster is tropics blue.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by rgswff View Post
    Took them almost 5 days to finish the excavation. Is that longer than "normal"?
    a pool like with normal soil is ballpark $1k in 5-6 hrs...that's prob a $5-10k excavation job. nice pool, colors look great
    18x36 vinyl / sport pool 5.5' deep / 1.5hp Tri-Star 2spd / Hayward c3030 325 sqft cartridge / ~15k gal / TF100

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by rgswff View Post
    Originally it was just going to be grass but we decided to get the decking extended all the way around the pool

- - - Updated - - -

Dont really have any cost to compare it to so cant really say if it is epensive for that. I will say the limestone started after about 3-4 feet of dirt. Took them almost 5 days to finish the excavation. Is that longer than "normal"?
    Mine in Austin took around 2 weeks....Consider yourself very lucky! Welcome to being a pool owner here in Austin!
    43 x 19 Gunite Pool w/ spa and fire pit, 19,000 gallons, Pebble Sheen Aqua Blue finish, Jandy 2 HP VS E-pump, Jandy 580 sq ft Cartridge Filter, Jandy LXI 400k Heater, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, 4 Jandy LED color lights, Aqualink PDA and Iaqualink, Polaris 280 with Booster Pump. Polaris 9550 Robot Cleaner. 1 HP Silencer Air Blower for Spa http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...NAL-INSPECTION

12. Back To Top    #12

One thing we didn't do all around the pool was add decking. We already have a fairly large patio and just tied the decking into that but it only goes around 2/3rds of the pool. We were thinking we wanted to keep as much yard as possible for our 3 young boys to be able to run around and play. Now we are rethinking that decision. Has anyone gone back after the fact and added decking? How hard or expensive was it compared to the cost per sq. ft when you were having the pool built? I'm torn with doing it now or just waiting a few years maybe and adding it then.

IMG_1701.jpg IMG_1713.jpg

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

We have two sons, now both grown, so I understand what you mean about wanting space for your boys. I can't really answer from any personal experience, but I think you have to make that old "Pros and Cons" list. Put it down on paper. When I do that, the answers often jump right out at me.

It looks like you have a lot of area left, but I can't tell for sure. If you added deck, how much yard would be left? How often do your fellas play outside? And what do they like to do when playing outside? What is your family into? Such as, are ya'll a big soccer family and need lots of space to practice? Our boys (13 months apart) were so into competitive swimming from ages 5-18 that they were hardly ever home (a regret looking back). You didn't mention their ages, but if old enough, what do they have to say about keeping/losing more yard? Of course, you and your wife are the adults and must make the final decision, but sometimes kids can zoom right to the heart of a matter (out of the mouths of babes). Young ones often give the most honest and pure insights.

I guess my vote, since ya'll are wavering, would be to wait. You can always add more decking later, but it's much more difficult to remove it (I think, or maybe not?). Keep in mind, saving a buck is usually tops on my list, but also, I like to take my time with decisions (like waiting to get a pool when retired - Ha Ha - maybe that was a little too long).

Either way you go, it will still be gorgeous! Good luck deciding, and let us know - with pictures! Suz
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

14. Back To Top    #14

love,love,love it! It flows so well!

The decking---------there is good and bad on both sides.

The main thing I thought of when you said grass will go on the other side of the pool is the dirt and grass that will get in the pool from mowing AND kids running from the yard and jumping into the pool (we all know they will LOL).

Just wanted to give you that thought.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

I agree with Suz. Wait throught summer at least and find out how you actually use your pool. You'll know the answer after living with it.
    IG ~12000 gallon 1988 freeform pool with IG spa, Hayward equip, Ecostar pump. Remodel done: NPT Arctic 1x2 tile in Lagoon w/ gray thinset & Light Pewter grout, French Gray PebbleSheen w/ grey fittings, Leuders buff eased edge limestone coping w/ Light Buff mortar, buff mastic

16. Back To Top    #16

We are going to be putting a fence around the pool so will at least prevent the kids from playing in the grass and then jumping directly into the pool. I think we will probably live with it like it is this summer and then see if we feel we need to add it.

17. Back To Top    #17

Got ya! The fence will take care of that for sure.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

Landscaping finally got done in between all the rain. At least with all the rain, I didn't have to water the new grass very much. Still have to add some landscape lighting.

Yard when it was just mud
    IMG_1713.jpg

IMG_1789.jpg
    IMG_1790.jpg

19. Back To Top    #19

Nice job! That is one good thing about rain for sure!

Kim