Pump don't get enough water

Sep 4, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Hi everyone,
Last year was my first year of being a pool owner and this site has been awesome. Thanks for all you do.

I started Slamming my pool Sunday and I have made great progress until today.
I have an issue with high psi on the filter, but I thought was because all the gunk in the water so I have been backwashing twice a day, and I know the filter is working because I can see the progress in the water.
I wish I knew how to post pics. :(
Anyways, now aduring backwash it looks like the pump is not pulling enough water to the point that the basket in the pump goes dry and after a few seconds 30 or so water gets in it and goes dry again.
I have made sure that the lid is put on tight and nice, skimmer basket is clean, but don't know what to do now.
TIA for your help.

It sounds like low water level or the skimmer door is sticking. It surges, correct? It starts to work, primes, and then abruptly stops working and does it over and over every 30 seconds or so? You're just sucking air. Make sure the Weir (door) isn't stuck on something and add water to the pool to get it up halfway up the skimmer opening. One or the other should cure the surging.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.