Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump don't get enough water

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump don't get enough water

Hi everyone,
    Last year was my first year of being a pool owner and this site has been awesome. Thanks for all you do.

I started Slamming my pool Sunday and I have made great progress until today.
    I have an issue with high psi on the filter, but I thought was because all the gunk in the water so I have been backwashing twice a day, and I know the filter is working because I can see the progress in the water.
    I wish I knew how to post pics.
    Anyways, now aduring backwash it looks like the pump is not pulling enough water to the point that the basket in the pump goes dry and after a few seconds 30 or so water gets in it and goes dry again.
    I have made sure that the lid is put on tight and nice, skimmer basket is clean, but don't know what to do now.
    TIA for your help.

26K gallons, IG vinyl, Pentair 1.5 HP, Hayward DE filter, TF 100 test kit, Ecojet Turbo Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump don't get enough water

It sounds like low water level or the skimmer door is sticking. It surges, correct? It starts to work, primes, and then abruptly stops working and does it over and over every 30 seconds or so? You're just sucking air. Make sure the Weir (door) isn't stuck on something and add water to the pool to get it up halfway up the skimmer opening. One or the other should cure the surging.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

In deed the foam on the little door broke and was stuck.
    And added more water to the pool.
    Thanks for your help.

26K gallons, IG vinyl, Pentair 1.5 HP, Hayward DE filter, TF 100 test kit, Ecojet Turbo Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Stars26 View Post
    In deed the foam on the little door broke and was stuck.
    And added more water to the pool.
    Thanks for your help.
    I appreciate hearing that the problem was solved. Too often we answer questions and never hear which solution actually fixed the problem.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I just got home that's why it took a while, I went back to look at the skimmer this morning and left the water hose open this morning.
    Thanks for your help, I greatly appreciate it.