Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A few questions about first time use of TF-100

1. Back To Top    #1

Red face A few questions about first time use of TF-100

Received my TF-100 today and ran my first set of tests! A couple of questions:

CH test instructions state 'Red indicates the presence of Calcium'. My water was a definite purple, no resemblance of red at all but it did still turn blue with R-0012. Is the purple color normal?

When the instructions say to 'mix' does that mean to actually mix (like with the flat end on the blue spoon) or just swirl? Some steps say mix others say swirl so I assumed there was a difference. This may not even matter but just checking because I definitely do not want to be wasting any of the testing chemicals.

My test results are below. If something appears way off could someone please let me know? I feel confident that they are accurate for the most part but I may have missed something. About to plug them into 'Pool Math' now because I clearly need to add some things!

pH: 7.5
    FC: 1.5
    CC: .5
    TC: 2
    CYA: 0
    TA: 60
    CH: 125
    Br: 4? Not positive about this one because the colors are very hard to distinguish IMO. They kind of all looked the same.

Thanks in advance to anyone that may have some input on this!
    ​Jennifer
    19k gal, 27' x 54" AG Aqua Leader Saltwater 8000 installed April 2014; Aqua Pro 19" Sand Filter System 1.5-hp Pump; Hayward Aqua Trol Salt Chlorine Generator System; Overlap Boulder Swirl Liner; Polaris 65 Turbo Turtle Automatic Cleaner; TF-100 Testing Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: A few questions about first time use of TF-100

Ignore the Br. This is bromine and you don't have listed a bromine pool.

Chlorine...you need chlorine. But to determine how much, you need to know your CYA level. So test for that and then add chlorine relative to the following chart:

Chlorine/CYA Chart
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for your response! I just edited my post to add the CYA results that I forgot in the beginning. It is definitely 0!
    ​Jennifer
    19k gal, 27' x 54" AG Aqua Leader Saltwater 8000 installed April 2014; Aqua Pro 19" Sand Filter System 1.5-hp Pump; Hayward Aqua Trol Salt Chlorine Generator System; Overlap Boulder Swirl Liner; Polaris 65 Turbo Turtle Automatic Cleaner; TF-100 Testing Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Add some CYA via the sock method. I would add in steps (say maybe half or 3/4 the recommended amount for SWGs) and retest that in one week.

How does your water look?
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

For the PH and OTO chlorine test, mix means put the cap on and turn the vial upside down and then back upright. For the FAS-DPD chlorine, TA, and CH tests mix means swirl. For the CYA test mix means shake vigorously.

The OTO chlorine test, the one that is various shades of yellow, is best for simple quick chlorine/no chlorine test results. If you want a specific level use the FAS-DPD test, powder turns the sample pink, and then drops turn it clear again.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by northrn View Post
    Add some CYA via the sock method. I would add in steps (say maybe half or 3/4 the recommended amount for SWGs) and retest that in one week.

How does your water look?
    Thanks, that's what I'll do. Water looks great -very clear. I'll get a picture tomorrow and post. Thanks again!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    For the PH and OTO chlorine test, mix means put the cap on and turn the vial upside down and then back upright. For the FAS-DPD chlorine, TA, and CH tests mix means swirl. For the CYA test mix means shake vigorously.

The OTO chlorine test, the one that is various shades of yellow, is best for simple quick chlorine/no chlorine test results. If you want a specific level use the FAS-DPD test, powder turns the sample pink, and then drops turn it clear again.
    Thank you!
    ​Jennifer