Question on pump sizing

suep

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 18, 2011
Portland, OR
My single speed pump was getting really noisy so I decided to get a variable speed pump. My electric rates are pretty low but I decided on the VS pump because I wanted something quiet. When I called the PB and made the appt. for the install they told me that a 1hp pump was the largest I could have with my 300lb sand filter. The pump was installed today and I see it is a 1.5hp pump. I called the pool builder and asked if it was too big for my filter and they said it should be fine since the highest speed allowed on the pump is 3000rpm.

Is he telling me the truth or will the pump cause a problem with the filter?

He is full of many errors.
So you now have a Max-flo VS pump? That is a good pump ... certainly could have save some $ by just replacing your old motor with a new 2-speed though.

You can run larger than a 1HP pump on that filter. In fact just saying 1HP is meaningless since it ignores the Service Factor and wet end design which affect the flow rates. You should be able to run any speed you want without a problem.

Thanks! That is a relief.

I do have a Max-Flo VS pump and I love the quiet. I thought about getting a 2 speed motor but there is a $200 energy rebate right now for the VS pumps and I have heard that the 2 speed pumps are just as noisy when they are on high speed as the single speed pumps. Since I live in Portland, OR I need to run the heater quite a bit and I don't want to listen to the noise anymore.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.