Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question on pump sizing

1. Back To Top    #1

Question on pump sizing

My single speed pump was getting really noisy so I decided to get a variable speed pump. My electric rates are pretty low but I decided on the VS pump because I wanted something quiet. When I called the PB and made the appt. for the install they told me that a 1hp pump was the largest I could have with my 300lb sand filter. The pump was installed today and I see it is a 1.5hp pump. I called the pool builder and asked if it was too big for my filter and they said it should be fine since the highest speed allowed on the pump is 3000rpm.

Is he telling me the truth or will the pump cause a problem with the filter?
    10,000 gal Inground Fiberglass Pool;Aquarite SWG; Hayward H Series Gas Heater;
    Hayward Sand Filter; 1.5 HP Hayward Max-Flo VS Pump; Dolphin Pool Cleaner; TF100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question on pump sizing

He is full of many errors.
    So you now have a Max-flo VS pump? That is a good pump ... certainly could have save some $ by just replacing your old motor with a new 2-speed though.

You can run larger than a 1HP pump on that filter. In fact just saying 1HP is meaningless since it ignores the Service Factor and wet end design which affect the flow rates. You should be able to run any speed you want without a problem.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Question on pump sizing

Thanks! That is a relief.

I do have a Max-Flo VS pump and I love the quiet. I thought about getting a 2 speed motor but there is a $200 energy rebate right now for the VS pumps and I have heard that the 2 speed pumps are just as noisy when they are on high speed as the single speed pumps. Since I live in Portland, OR I need to run the heater quite a bit and I don't want to listen to the noise anymore.
    10,000 gal Inground Fiberglass Pool;Aquarite SWG; Hayward H Series Gas Heater;
    Hayward Sand Filter; 1.5 HP Hayward Max-Flo VS Pump; Dolphin Pool Cleaner; TF100 Test Kit