Sediment/Crystals on pool bottom

Wrobert

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 12, 2014
Virginia
During the winter I noticed a lot of sediment on the bottom of the pool; it was deep enough in places so that when critters were squirming it would leave tracks. I'm in the process of opening and notice that my auto pool bottom cleaner (my 3yo calls it "the dude") if filling up with this white crystal sediment. What is it and is it normal? Did I add too much of something last season? I don't remember it from last year. I assume it's excess something coming out of solution because of the cold water. Here are some pics of what I'm talking about:
f164afe58b180f75c1aed866f6aece28.jpg
89bfb597796f7410f58788162060feb7.jpg
b1e3fe7817d76fbcb13762045eb6b0a7.jpg

Last year was the first year of the pool, had it installed the fall before. Followed the methods of this site for treatment, nothing out of the ordinary, (bleach, borax, acid) were my biggest additions. The test results were good all season; the only issue I had was keeping the pH down.

The crystals are hard, not sure how they will dissolve in hot water, I"ll check later. They are flavorless, if that matters.... :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't believe the forum has seen anything quite like that in 8 years or so of posts. I am just bumping the post to keep it in the forefront until we can figure out what it is. How much volume would you say there is in your whole pool? 1 lb? I don't even know whether it should be lbs or fluid ounces. Very interesting and probably not the least harmful. I think it will simply go away on it's own but I hope we can identify it first.
They are flavorless, if that matters..
Yeah, if you had said, "Delicious", that would have changed the whole conversation! :laughblue::laughblue:

I had something similar to this last year (though not as much) and I thought it was "excess salt" that was settling out. But my salt level was never high. My ch was a bit higher than yours. I will have to look at my spreadsheet from last year when I get home this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to say it, but I'm at a loss for a definite answer.

I would suggest setting a small pile aside and putting a few drops of Muriatic acid on them. Do that, and tell us what happens please. Set aside another pile if you still have some. I may ask you to send me a handful if you'd be willing and able.

If acid doesn't cause the crystals to foam or bubble, it may be that it is calcium sulfate crystals.
Does your tap water contain a lot of sulfates? Or do you use dry acid a lot?

Thanks for all of the input. I don't have any Muriatic on hand but I tried some vinegar; it bubbles and dissolves the crystals. I'll be getting some Muriatic and will try that if necessary. Not sure if our water contains alot of sulphates, how would I tell or find out. As far as the acid I used, only Muriatic last year. I put some in a cup with near boiling water and they SLOWLY appear to be dissolving.

A little more info: after putting it in the hot water the crystals seem to have dissolved but don't appear to be going into solution. If I stir the water it becomes milky when I leave it set, it clears and the fine sediment settles to the bottom. Kind of like the consistency of DE. See pics below. As far as Borax I believe I added about one box (2lbs I think) last spring.

6e46e82eed9fe2073dbb2a9e745a47c7.jpg
ab010e908477721c5c2590c33ab4ba98.jpg
ff4dcbacc8685a67e6dc7826c2ea8072.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.