Electrical bonding

grottoguy

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
NJ
I assume that my pool will get inspected for bonding prior to my decking (pavers) being done. If that is correct, I am wondering about the following: I am getting a basketball hoop that will be cemented into the deck 18 inches from the pool and volleyball poles that will be cemented into the deck about 12 inches from the pool. I assume those need to be bonded as well and was wondering how they will be connected to the other bonding around the pool?

Thanks

I think the anchors get cemented in, and then the poles go into the anchors, and the poles can be removed at any time. But I assume something has to be bonded, and was wondering how that is done after everything else was done already.

I just checked the online basketball manual and it states " properly bond the anchor using the attached bonding screw and the appropriate bond wire per local codes"

So my question is if all the other bonding wires have been buried and backfilled (I'm not sure how this works actually, I'm just speculating), how would I connect to the other stuff that was bonded already?

Thanks everyone. I'll check with the electrician when he comes Monday. My concern is that I'm not sure the anchors will be set when they are doing the bonding because the PB isn't installing the basketball or volleyball. My landscaper is doing that. But I'll see what he says? What would someone do if they installed these a year later? Is the bonding easy to do at that point?

If they're not going to be in place when the electrician is there then my suggestion would be to spray paint the area where they're going to be installed and have the electrician leave a couple of feet of wire sticking up in the location. That way the landscaper can bond the sleeves when they set them.

Bonding them after the deck is poured isn't a easy or trivial task. Most times there's a saw cut made in the concrete from the edge to the place of installation for the bonding wire to run in. Then it's sealed over with epoxy. If it's close enough to the edge you can sometimes core drill the hole and fish a bonding wire under the concrete from the edge.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for your suggestion. Just to clarify, my decking will be pavers over crushed stone. The decking won't be done in concrete. Only the anchors will be concreted in. Does this make it much easier to do at a later date?

That simplifies fixing it after the fact a little, but it is still vastly easier to do the bonding before the deck is installed. Bonding should really be installed after the anchor sleeves are put in place and before the concrete that will hold them in place is poured, All of which really ought to be before the deck is installed.

Thanks Jason. Let me ask one more question. One side of the volleyball net will be attached to a pole near the pool but the other side of the net may be attached directly to a rock on my rock ledge because there may not be room for a pole there. I presume there would be some type of clip put on the rock to attach to that side of the net. Does the clip on the rock holding the net also have to be bonded?

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.