Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Electrical bonding

1. Back To Top    #1

Electrical bonding

I assume that my pool will get inspected for bonding prior to my decking (pavers) being done. If that is correct, I am wondering about the following: I am getting a basketball hoop that will be cemented into the deck 18 inches from the pool and volleyball poles that will be cemented into the deck about 12 inches from the pool. I assume those need to be bonded as well and was wondering how they will be connected to the other bonding around the pool?

Thanks
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Electrical bonding

Are you sure they are cemented into the deck? Usually a sleeve is put in the deck and the hoop/net poles are just slipped inside when you want to use them
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I think the anchors get cemented in, and then the poles go into the anchors, and the poles can be removed at any time. But I assume something has to be bonded, and was wondering how that is done after everything else was done already.
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

4. Back To Top    #4

If the sleeves are PVC, then there is nothing to bond.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I just checked the online basketball manual and it states " properly bond the anchor using the attached bonding screw and the appropriate bond wire per local codes"

So my question is if all the other bonding wires have been buried and backfilled (I'm not sure how this works actually, I'm just speculating), how would I connect to the other stuff that was bonded already?

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, then the anchor should be in place when everything is bonded together before backfilling.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Need to share that manual with the PB.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

The anchors get bonded. This is really basic stuff, exactly the same as ladder bonding. As long as the GC knows about it in advance it is trivial to get right.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks everyone. I'll check with the electrician when he comes Monday. My concern is that I'm not sure the anchors will be set when they are doing the bonding because the PB isn't installing the basketball or volleyball. My landscaper is doing that. But I'll see what he says? What would someone do if they installed these a year later? Is the bonding easy to do at that point?

10. Back To Top    #10

If they're not going to be in place when the electrician is there then my suggestion would be to spray paint the area where they're going to be installed and have the electrician leave a couple of feet of wire sticking up in the location. That way the landscaper can bond the sleeves when they set them.

Bonding them after the deck is poured isn't a easy or trivial task. Most times there's a saw cut made in the concrete from the edge to the place of installation for the bonding wire to run in. Then it's sealed over with epoxy. If it's close enough to the edge you can sometimes core drill the hole and fish a bonding wire under the concrete from the edge.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks for your suggestion. Just to clarify, my decking will be pavers over crushed stone. The decking won't be done in concrete. Only the anchors will be concreted in. Does this make it much easier to do at a later date?

12. Back To Top    #12

That simplifies fixing it after the fact a little, but it is still vastly easier to do the bonding before the deck is installed. Bonding should really be installed after the anchor sleeves are put in place and before the concrete that will hold them in place is poured, All of which really ought to be before the deck is installed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks Jason. Let me ask one more question. One side of the volleyball net will be attached to a pole near the pool but the other side of the net may be attached directly to a rock on my rock ledge because there may not be room for a pole there. I presume there would be some type of clip put on the rock to attach to that side of the net. Does the clip on the rock holding the net also have to be bonded?

Thanks

14. Back To Top    #14

Small pieces of metal do not need to be bonded. A rock anchor should be small enough (< 4 inches) to not need bonding.