Motor/Pump Selection Help!

Apr 20, 2015
Flower Mound, TX
Hello,
I am relatively new to this thread and a very new pool owner. This is my first "getting ready for pool season" and I am running into some problems/questions. I've had a lot of issues with my motor/pump setup Centurion 1HP and Pentair Whisperflow 1HP. Motor just stopped working for the 2nd time in the past month after I had to replace the Run Capacitor.

I am considering just doing a firesale and replacing my Pump/Motor as the summer draws near to make sure I'm not dead in the water during the hot months.

In looking at new pumps I am torn between a 2speed/Variable speed for a few reasons. My current setup runs on a mechanical timer and is set to pump for about 6 hours a day. My Polaris Cleaner runs for about an Hour a day.

What I am confused about is that when I see people have multi speed pumps, they seem to be running for 24 hours a day? Why would I want to do that if my current setup works fine at 4-6 hours a day? I've been reading several threads on this but still have some uncertainty and wanted to ask my question directly.

So ultimately I have two questions.

1. Is a 2 speed pump Adequate for my setup or would Variable Speed be better?
2. How long should the pump be running on an average day in a Warm Climate?

thanks all in advance!
Alex

- - - Updated - - -

Tried to Update my signature but it didn't save.

Motor - 1HP centurion
Pump - 1HP Whisperflo
Filter - Hayward DE
Booster Pump - Hayward 3/4HP
Cleaner - Polaris 360 Vacum.

People with multi-speed pumps should not be running 24/7 ... that is way too long. See Determine Pump Run Time.

Unless you power is very expensive or you have a lot of different flow rate needs, a 2-speed is the better solution. You likely can just get a 2-speed motor and install it on your existing pump (no plumbing required then).

You can likely still run the pump on low speed for 4-8 hours and have a clean pool. Just switch to high speed manually when you need to backwash.

Do you get a better backwash with a higher speed? Currently when I backwash I rarely notice anything coming through my sight glass. however, every few months when I spray down my DE screens there is a layer of green gunk. Shouldn't the backwash be taking that off?

To adequate backwash you need a good amount of flow. A 1HP Whisperflo should be enough.
You are adding DE to the filter after every backwash right? You should see the sight glass go cloudy.
Still good to break the filter down yearly though.

Please put all the info in your signature.

I guess I haven't been adding DE After Every backwash. I need to start doing that. I do end up breaking down my filter (or have been) every 4-5 months and giving everything a good rinse. After that I'll of course add DE to re-charge it. Looks like I need to be doing that more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.