Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool coming soon

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool coming soon

Hi everyone, I've been enjoying reading all the posts in the forums and learning about how to successfully keep pool chemistry in line. We started a pool build in the Fall of 2014. We got as far as getting the pool dug, liner installed and water to keep it in place before the bad weather hit. We had happy pool dreams all winter and now are gearing up to get it done. Pump, filter, SWG and heater are in place but not yet plumbed. The rest of the plumbing, electric and gas hookups should happen this Friday (I hope!). After that, we'll be ready to have concrete patio poured.

After reading all of the pool school articles, I can't wait to get started. It's a little frustrating right now because I can't really start doing anything until the pump and filter are operating. I plan on getting one of the recommended test kits. I'll be sure to post results as I get going.

One thing that occurs to me reading about chlorination. For people following the TFPC method, you really want to have a SWG. Otherwise, you would be adding liquid bleach daily. Are there any other methods for adding chlorine only without the extra CYA besides liquid bleach? I can see that folks without SWGs would quickly tire of adding it every day.

Looking forward to my pool adventures this summer!
    Dan
    18x36, 21,000 gallon, in-ground, vinyl, Pentair SWG, DE filter, Pentair 250K Heater, Taylor K-2006, Dolphin Triton

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool coming soon

Welcome to TFP!!!

Bleach or SWG are the best options. There are a few ways to have the bleach added automatically too, although you still have to fill the tank up every week or so. The Liquidator might be a little small for your pool. A peristaltic pump (like Stenner) are a better option.

Hope you at least got a 2-speed pump or a VS pump and not an energy hog single speed
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

The pump is made by Pentair and I doubt that it is variable speed. I came in to this process with very little knowledge and we have whatever the PB thought was appropriate. The DE filter and SWG are by Pentair also.
    18x36, 21,000 gallon, in-ground, vinyl, Pentair SWG, DE filter, Pentair 250K Heater, Taylor K-2006, Dolphin Triton

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome Daniel. I add bleach daily or every other day if I forget. Our season is so short that I don't get sick of it. It only takes 5 minutes a day to maintain the pool chemically.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!

Adding bleach daily takes just slightly more time than pouring yourself your favorite beverage. The plus side of manual chlorination (vs SWG) is that you do not have to run your pump as long. Add the bleach with the pump running and then let it run for about a half hour. That's all you need to adequately circulate the bleach. A SWG produces chlorine only when the pump is running and you need to let it run for several hours a day.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

Once you get your pools behavior down and get a feel for your daily Fc loss it's really easy. I just throw a solo cup of bleach in a day and it stays right on the target.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits