How full is a pool?

Aug 19, 2014
Shallotte, NC
Yeah, well..... On our opening, new liner, and first fill, we filled to a point just below the opening in the skimmer. All seemed pretty OK, until we got about 1.5 inches of rain, then the skimmer quit skimming and I was a little unsure what to do. I know the top of the skimmer is a slip fit and will leak if overfilled, so I knew I needed to back off. I drained about an inch or so of water to bring the level back to just under the top of the skimmer. So, I believe I'm now losing that nasty looking pollen slick on top of the water.

But, the definitive answer still eludes me. How full should a pool be?

So there are usually 4 screws in the side of the skimmer. I keep mine just above the 2nd screw. When it get lower, the high setting on my pump creates a nice whirlpool in the skimmer and sucks a little air. When it get higher, the low setting just takes the bottom of the water and i still have debris on top.

Thanks, folks..... I think I'm still a little too high, but the pollen sheen is disappearing, so I must be marginal.

I've got a real learning curve..... pumping OUT water, rather than running more water in (to the tune of 17,000 gals/month).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.