Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool idea, looking for thoughts

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool idea, looking for thoughts

If you have read any of my other posts you will know that I am trying to get a play pool (most important) and a diving pool with a spa and a tanning ledge. I have been all over the place and this morning I am exploring the idea of an L shaped pool as I feel that it would meet both of my needs. Obviously I am not a graphics guy and the diagram below is the best I could come up with. In actuality we would probably round off all of the corners and give a little bit of bend in the straight edges as well but this is a general idea.

What would you guess as a ballpark price for this pool?
    Gunite:
    Vinyl:

Also please share any general thoughts and suggestions as I am new and still learning.

My Pool Build Thread: 21 x 40 Freeform Gunite Pool, 12" Tanning Ledge, 3.5 shallow graduating to 4.5, 8.5 deep end, 4' Waterfall which doubles as a diving ledge with 6' x 4' Grotto underneath, 670 sq. ft., 106 Linear ft., Rock Salted Concrete Deck, Pentair 520 Filter, Intelli flow 3 HP VS pump, (4) Color LED lights, Intelli-Chlor SWG, Hot Springs Vanguard Hot Tub with ACE and BT Sound System, ODK, TF100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool idea, looking for thoughts

I will guess over $50k for plaster.
    Would be pretty tough for vinyl I think. Very custom liner.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Is there a prize for the winner?? If so, my guess would be $75K to $80K for plaster.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have no idea on cost but found this old thread that may interest you:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ffolk-VA/page2

Post #23 really shows the layout of sport/deep area well.
    TF-100 Test Kit
    22,000 gallon, 20x40 kidney-shape IG plaster pool built in 1986
    Nautilus NS-36 DE filter, Hayward Self Prime Super Pump 1HP
    Polaris Automatic Pool Cleaner, PB4-60 3/4 HP pump

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I've seen this liner shape numerous times on TFP. It may be very custom but not unusual. Perhaps the sunshelf would be the outlier though.
    Plaster, with the spa, probably over $50K before you option it up. Then over $60K.
    No real idea on vinyl but probably 25% less before options. No difference on options either way.
    Prices excluding decking/walls/fence, etc.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

This looks like a fairly common L-shaped vinyl pool to me. Seen some here on TFP.

My comment is on a 3-1/2 shallow end. Put a tape measure on everyone and note where 3-1/2 is when standing up in the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Any follow-up on our guesses?
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

I think your tanning ledge is too small. Mine is a little less than 6'x10', and I feel it's too small. I have no idea about costs.

I like the direction you're going. Keep thinking! Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

9. Back To Top    #9

Deep end is not long enough to dive in face first, my pool is a 20x40 traditional hopper style deep end with about 15 ft long shallow end and more than one person has kissed the bottom diving out too far off the diving board. One teenage girl almost lost a tooth doing, and ended up having to keep braces on her teeth an extra year, wow that was almost 30 years ago, the exact point of impact her braces ripped a thumb size hole in the liner.

Ike

p.s. usual kissing point is in about 5-5.5 ft of water about 20-22 ft out from the edge of the deep end of the pool
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Is the hot tub out and the spa back in? Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

11. Back To Top    #11

Can't help on the prices, sorry. I would do 48" depth rather than the 3' 6". Still great for play. I had an above ground pool that was deeper than the standard at 48" and it was great. I just put in an IG and upgraded to the taller 48" walls vinyl). If price gets out of hand I'd skip the tanning ledge. They are really cool but you can tan just outside the pool (you'll be on a lounger anyway). Just my opinion, others would not do w/o it. Things not to skip to due to cost: lights, plumbing for Polaris (can get for free by asking, simple pvc pipe run back to equipment), liner over steel stairs (if vinyl liner). You can always add a heater or swg the next year but you can't add lights or change the plastic steps to steel covered w the liner (w/o tremendous cost). Rome wasn't built in a day so know you can go without a patio for a year or two (put down grass or pea gravel) until you can afford the decking (assuming $ is a factor). Good luck!
    -Chris
    Inground, vinyl liner, 16 x 32 (approx. 21k gallons), roman end w/ bench, 2 Jandy LED lights
    Pump: Jandy Flopro, 1.5 hp Heater: Raypak, 266k btu (P-R266-A-EN-C; nat gas) Filter: Jandy C340 (cartridge filter) Robot: Doheny's Dolphin Discovery

12. Back To Top    #12

By my rough calculations that is a 705sqft pool with 24700 gallons and 134 ln ft. Plus that isn't including the spa. That is a huge pool! At least these numbers might help you get a grasp on what you are looking at size wise when factoring in cost.
    Pool is done! Only took 17 months! - Natural shape in-ground pool: 37x23, 505sq ft, 96ft perimeter, 7ft deep end, 18,950 gallons, tanning ledge, blue surf pebble sheen/luminous blue blend, Belgard coping, 910 sqft paver deck/walkways, retaining walls out the yinyang. Jandy SWG, 2 LED Color lights, VS 2HP Pump, 460sqft cartridge filter, PDA RS P8 controller. My build

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Hey Sooner! Where are you???? I just noticed it's been a month since you've been on this thread. We miss you, come on back! Hope all is well. Suz.

14. Back To Top    #14

I can not help on price, but would people jumping into the deep end splash people on the tanning ledge? Or is that just too trivial?
    Pool build spring/summer 2015. IG. 750 sq ft pool. 40 sq.ft spa. 18ft x 42ft rectangle, 31,000 gallons, SWG, DE Pentair model, 2 boosters variable speed model, heater master temp Pentair, Quartz finish Aegean Green, CoverStar Automated Pool Cover, Kreepy Krawley Platinum, TF100,SpeedStir My Build in Progress