Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Easy touch or not?

1. Back To Top    #1

Easy touch or not?

My wife and I are getting quotes to start a pool the first of June. It will be a pretty simple pool: 16x33, freeform without a spa, a couple of LED lights and an LED bubbler, pebbletec, small baja shelf. The builder offers the Easy Touch 8 w/wireless remote. What exactly will this do for me? It is a $2k add on and I could definitely use that $ towards landscape and changing sprinkler zones around. Oh, and the pool will be chlorine. Thank you.

Eric

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Easy touch or not?

EasyTouch gives you one or more control panels and/or wireless remotes that let you control all of your water features, lights, etc. Without a spa most people consider something like the EasyTouch as overkill. Without it there will be a conventional light switch in a single location to control the lights, probably a light switch and a valve to control the bubbler, and you won't have that much control over where the switches/valves are located.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

You can manually control everything at the equipment pad and skip the Easytouch. We did. The only thing we ended up needing to automate was the solar panels with a Solartouch for under 300 bucks.

Welcome to TFP and congrats on building a pool!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for such quick responses! That was what I was thinking, but wanted to make sure.

Eric

5. Back To Top    #5

My pool has no spa but I'm so glad I have the easy touch system. Mine is the 4 not 8 and no need for the wireless remote. I use the extra slots for landscape lighting and extra outlets on that side of the yard. Now in the winter my easy touch control Christmas lights and yard decorations too!
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have the easy touch 8 and remote. It's one of the best items I purchased. It's basically a sub panel for everything in my back yard. And depending on where your electrical panel is, it will save you money on construction cost. Instead of running all my new yard lights and pool equipment to my main panel, I only had to make one run for the easy touch. Everything else then runs off of it. This saved me about 50' of electrical runs for all the equipment, yard lights, extra outlets etc. And it will run low voltage lighting and sprinklers if needed.

7. Back To Top    #7

Goose, Without the spa, you might want to price out the EasyTouch4 to find a middle ground. Also, if you decide that you are into automation (which you might want with the LED and bubbler) I would get rid of the remote and replace it with the ScreenLogic. ScreenLogic allows you to make your cell phone, computer or other device a remote - so it is 1 less thing you have to keep up with. The EasyTouch8 w/ScreenLogic bundled in $1625 and it still has to be installed and programmed ($3-400).

One nice thing about the automation, is that you can get low voltage deck/garden lights that could accent your pool/walkway/gardens and also control them with your phone.

Lastly, your LED bubbler will require a transformer - so I would suggest getting the low voltage LED lights since you will already need the transformer. In theory, they are safer and a hair cheaper than their 110V sisters (that don't need a $100 transformer).
    New DIY IG pool in Houston, Texas. 4/30 dig to 6/11 fill. 20' x 42.5' free form pool/raised spa with the following equipment: 3hp Intelliflow pump shared between pool/spa, 120gpm Pentair Waterfall pump, 6' sheer decent, 2 bubblers, 2 large color LEDs in the pool/1 small in the spa, Easytouch 8 with ScreenLogic2, Stenner Pump, auto fill, a 2HP silencer pump for the spa, 850 sq. ft Sundeck, Dolphin Supreme M500 and a TF100+mixer

8. Back To Top    #8

To build on what TW Pool said, with screen logic, I can control my pool pumps, heat, water features and lights from any place in the world through my phone

9. Back To Top    #9

Easy touch with scree logic worth every penny! As they mentioned above, this panel is also a breaker box with controls together in one panel. It makes much cleaner and central. It also saves the costs of electrician connecting and installing hookups to your existing boxes. In a lot of cases it saves you money, as electricians are not cheap.
    18,900gal Viking 16'x40' Fiberglass In-Ground Pool w/ Cover Pool Auto Cover.
    WhisperFlo WF-24; Clean & Clear RP 150 Cartridge Filter; UltraTemp Heat Pump; IntelliChlor IC40 w/ IntelliPh Acid Pump;
    Easytouch Panel w/Screen Logic. Kreepy Krauly 820 Robot.
    LaMotte WaterLink Mobile Spin Lab & TF100/K2006 w/ Speed Stir.