Should I purchase a new pump?

Amanda14

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 16, 2014
East Northport, NY
Surface
Vinyl
Thinking about set up for this season and have a friend that is an electrician doing the wiring etc of the SWG and I was wondering if I should bite the bullet and buy one of these intermittent pumps. There is nothing wrong with the workhorse I have now that is 16 years old (came with the house when we bought it) and was rebuilt 1x (not by me - prior owner).

Typically, I would set the pump to go on at like 10:00 AM and have it shut around 5:00 PM because my thinking was since the sun is on the pool, the pump needs to be circulating water. So now, since my SWG is new, should I get one of these pumps? Not sure. My timer is one of those traditional dial ones with the pins that I will probably go digital when the SWG is installed.

Appreciate the input.

There is not normally any good reason to replace a working pump. Unless your electric rates are very very high, unlikely in NY, you will never pay back the up front costs of replacing a working pump. Now if the pump were to fail, getting a more energy efficient pump would be a great idea.

By the by, it is very unlikely that you need to run the pump for that long each day. Sun shining on the pool is not a reason to run the pump. For many pools, four hours a day is plenty of run time.

I'm no expert here but I can offer some advice. When you say intermittent pump, are you referring to a variable speed pump ?? If yes, I have one and absolutely love it. Having said that, if your pump is running fine and performing as it should, I see no reason to replace it. You will have to dial in the SWG and pump run time to achieve the desired FC. This may take a few adjustments to get it where you want it. Just my thoughts.

Much appreciated. Actually the inquiry was addressed by both of you for the different things I was thinking. 1) I have no idea how long I will need to run the pump with the SWG (I will of course come here for guidance) and yes I was speaking about Variable but I agree if ain't broke, don't fix it until I have to.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.