Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any tricks or suggestions for pumping out the last few inches of green pool water?

1. Back To Top    #1

Any tricks or suggestions for pumping out the last few inches of green pool water?

Have you ever dealt with a dirty water pump that just wouldn't drain the last few inches?
    Is there a simple solution?

I bought a 1 HP Harbor Freight 69300 dirty water pump to drain a green pool but it won't turn on at low water levels:

Even with the obnoxious float switch manually set to permanent on, the pump stops pumping with plenty of dirty water left to pump out:

I'm currently shoveling the water into a garbage can and then pumping it out from the garbage can:

But, pumping at 50 gallons per minute, I have to constantly run to the GCFI and pull the plug to shut it off before the garbage can runs dry:

Currently I have a 2-inch pool vacuum hose connected to the 1.5-inch outlet (female NPT thread) in the steel body of the pump:

But, I'd like to see if I can jury rig *something* (a rubber hose perhaps?) to go on the *underside* unthreaded inlet of the pump:

What could I shove into that inlet which will allow the pump to go shallower than the three or four or even five inches it seems to currently stop at?

I have a few 1.5-inch NPT fittings which go on the *outlet* of the stainless steel body:

The specs for the 69300 pump seem to "imply" it drains down to 1-3/8 inches:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/1-hp-st...gph-69300.html

But, the Harbor Freight 69300 owners manual says it stops at 3 inches (it seems to stop at 3 to 5 inches or so):
    http://manuals.harborfreight.com/man...9999/69300.pdf

Do you have a simple trick to get a dirty water pump to drain the last few inches?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Any tricks or suggestions for pumping out the last few inches of green pool water

Do you have a main drain or as we call them hydrostatic relief valve down there you can take out/open/take the cover off which you can then shove the pump into? it should be lower then and drain the last bit out?
    --
    8M x 4M Inground Concrete, 40k Litres, Waterline Tiles/Quartzon, Viron P320 VS Pump, Sand Filter(Glass Media) Astral VX-9 SWCG, Heatpump w/ Solar Cover. Zodiac V3 4WD Robot. Bullfrog A8D Spa(1800Litres).
    --

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Any tricks or suggestions for pumping out the last few inches of green pool water

Shop Vac?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

Take a hole saw and drill a hole in the base beneath the inlet. Size it so the hole is slightly smaller than the OD of a rubber drain pipe coupling and pick the coupling so it would would seem the right size to mate up with the unthreaded port. Press the rubber coupling into place. That would bring the port out to where you could pick up from the thinnest depth of water. May need to silicone glue the rubber in place but maybe not. Lots of other ways you could come through the bottom with threaded pipe or various fittings, etc. Kinda little project I love doing.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd go with a shop-vac.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I like your garbage can trick, maybe if you could get one of those hand diesel fuel pumps and remove the drain plate, pump it into the garbage can and let your pump do the rest. Those hand pumps work good.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

7. Back To Top    #7

My first thought was also a shop vac. My second thought is a big carwash sponge.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Are you draining to refill? Why not just refill it now? That amount of dirty water is not significant.

Welcome to TFP!

Here is a link to info on updating your signature, What we need to know to answer your questions
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach