New to BBB, can I get advice on sequencing?

Mcmrasek

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 21, 2015
Lees Summit, MO
My Taylor K-2006 arrived today. 1st test results are as follows
FC: 2.8 ppm
CC: 0.2 ppm
PH: 7.9 ppm
TA: 130 ppm
CH: 270 ppm
CYA: 150ppm? (Wasn't even halfway up to the "100" mark

What sequence should I start fixing things that are out of line?
Also open to recommendations on good products to use?
Thanks in advance.

First you need to figure out what your real CYA is, so you know how to fix that. Do the test again, but this time dilute your pool water with half tap water (exactly), add the regular amount of reagent, and see what reading you get. The tap+pool water will be the first half of the bottle, then the reagent like normal. Then multiply the result by 2. Post what you get.

And Welcome! All your other numbers don't look awful, but get the CYA measured first because if it's really high you're going to have to drain some water and refill.

Sandra

My Taylor K-2006 arrived today. 1st test results are as follows
CYA: 150ppm? (Wasn't even halfway up to the "100" mark

What sequence should I start fixing things that are out of line?
Also open to recommendations on good products to use?
Thanks in advance.

Sandra is correct, you need to do a diluted CYA test. 100 is the limit of the CYA test, so you have to do a diluted test. While the full instructions are in the Pool School, here is the short version. Mix 50% pool water with 50% tap water. Use this mixed sample as your test water. If still at a 100 you will need to dilute more. Here is a great chart by JamesW to explain dilution rates and what you multiply the results by to get an approximation of your CYA level.

Pool water......Tap or distilled water.........Multiply result by

Your chlorine is extremly low fo ryour CYA level. Our normal FC/CYA chart only goes to 100 CYA, but using the math behind it can be computed.
.... "Min FC" is 7.5% of the CYA level
.... "Target FC" is 11.5% of the CYA level

For now I would bring the FC up to at least 15 as a minimum. The rest of your numbers are not that bad and can be dealt with later.

You ask "Also open to recommendations on good products to use?". How about products not to use. The Chlorine Tab Feeder you are using is what is driving your CYA too high. A good portion of every tab is CYA. You have to stop using it and switch to liquid chlorine products that do not add CYA.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Thanks for the heads up on the Trichlor tabs. I've removed them. *anyone want to buy 3/4 full bucket of Trichlor tabs? ;)
Re-test of CYA (using 50% tap water) found CYA at 200ppm. So, my complete test results are:
CYA: 200ppm
* What should I tackle 1st ?

First priority is to get CYA down to something reasonable. CYA certainly needs to be under 100, and ideally down around 60.

By the by, it isn't really worth doing the FC/CC test in steps of 0.2. The smaller sample size and steps of 0.5 is more than enough precision for residential use and saves on reagents.

I would do the CYA test one more time, and this time do a 1 part pool to 2 parts tap water for the "water" part, like in the example from Tim above. If your 1/2 diluted test still showed 100, it may still be higher since that is the top of the reading. The only way to lower the CYA is to drain the water and refill (or do reverse osmosis, which is not readily available and is expensive). So you need to know what the real CYA is to know how much you need to drain. As long as you keep getting 100 in the test, keep diluting per Tim's chart until you have something lower that is readable.

Sandra

Appreciate the reading suggestions and the direction on CYA.
I identified the exact CYA level, replaced 75% of my water (as directed by Pool Math).
CYA is now down to 40ppm, and here are the rest of my current test results:
FC: 1.0 ppm
CC: 1.0 ppm
PH: 8.0 ppm
TA: 70 ppm
CH: 175 ppm
CYA: 40ppm
* Now add bleach to get my FC up ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.