Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to BBB, can I get advice on sequencing?

1. Back To Top    #1

New to BBB, can I get advice on sequencing?

My Taylor K-2006 arrived today. 1st test results are as follows
    FC: 2.8 ppm
    CC: 0.2 ppm
    PH: 7.9 ppm
    TA: 130 ppm
    CH: 270 ppm
    CYA: 150ppm? (Wasn't even halfway up to the "100" mark

What sequence should I start fixing things that are out of line?
    Also open to recommendations on good products to use?
    Thanks in advance.
    17k gal, in-ground oval guinite 18x34; Hayward ProGrid DE6020 Filter w/ 1.5hp Super II pump, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner;
    Taylor K-2006 test kit w/ Speed Stir, InstaTest strips for borates

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to BBB, can I get advice on sequencing?

First you need to figure out what your real CYA is, so you know how to fix that. Do the test again, but this time dilute your pool water with half tap water (exactly), add the regular amount of reagent, and see what reading you get. The tap+pool water will be the first half of the bottle, then the reagent like normal. Then multiply the result by 2. Post what you get.

And Welcome! All your other numbers don't look awful, but get the CYA measured first because if it's really high you're going to have to drain some water and refill.

Sandra
    18,000 gallon freeform inground plaster
    Jandy 1.5 hp pump & .75 hp booster pump
    Aquapure SWG
    Pentair Triton II sand filter
    Legend pressure-side vacuum

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Mcmrasek View Post
    My Taylor K-2006 arrived today. 1st test results are as follows
    CYA: 150ppm? (Wasn't even halfway up to the "100" mark

What sequence should I start fixing things that are out of line?
    Also open to recommendations on good products to use?
    Thanks in advance.
    Sandra is correct, you need to do a diluted CYA test. 100 is the limit of the CYA test, so you have to do a diluted test. While the full instructions are in the Pool School, here is the short version. Mix 50% pool water with 50% tap water. Use this mixed sample as your test water. If still at a 100 you will need to dilute more. Here is a great chart by JamesW to explain dilution rates and what you multiply the results by to get an approximation of your CYA level.

Pool water......Tap or distilled water.........Multiply result by

Your chlorine is extremly low fo ryour CYA level. Our normal FC/CYA chart only goes to 100 CYA, but using the math behind it can be computed.
    .... "Min FC" is 7.5% of the CYA level
    .... "Target FC" is 11.5% of the CYA level

For now I would bring the FC up to at least 15 as a minimum. The rest of your numbers are not that bad and can be dealt with later.

You ask "Also open to recommendations on good products to use?". How about products not to use. The Chlorine Tab Feeder you are using is what is driving your CYA too high. A good portion of every tab is CYA. You have to stop using it and switch to liquid chlorine products that do not add CYA.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the heads up on the Trichlor tabs. I've removed them. *anyone want to buy 3/4 full bucket of Trichlor tabs?
    Re-test of CYA (using 50% tap water) found CYA at 200ppm. So, my complete test results are:
    CYA: 200ppm
    * What should I tackle 1st ?
    17k gal, in-ground oval guinite 18x34; Hayward ProGrid DE6020 Filter w/ 1.5hp Super II pump, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner;

5. Back To Top    #5

First priority is to get CYA down to something reasonable. CYA certainly needs to be under 100, and ideally down around 60.

By the by, it isn't really worth doing the FC/CC test in steps of 0.2. The smaller sample size and steps of 0.5 is more than enough precision for residential use and saves on reagents.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I would do the CYA test one more time, and this time do a 1 part pool to 2 parts tap water for the "water" part, like in the example from Tim above. If your 1/2 diluted test still showed 100, it may still be higher since that is the top of the reading. The only way to lower the CYA is to drain the water and refill (or do reverse osmosis, which is not readily available and is expensive). So you need to know what the real CYA is to know how much you need to drain. As long as you keep getting 100 in the test, keep diluting per Tim's chart until you have something lower that is readable.

Sandra
    18,000 gallon freeform inground plaster
    Jandy 1.5 hp pump & .75 hp booster pump
    Aquapure SWG
    Pentair Triton II sand filter
    Legend pressure-side vacuum

7. Back To Top    #7

Appreciate the reading suggestions and the direction on CYA.
    I identified the exact CYA level, replaced 75% of my water (as directed by Pool Math).
    CYA is now down to 40ppm, and here are the rest of my current test results:
    FC: 1.0 ppm
    CC: 1.0 ppm
    PH: 8.0 ppm
    TA: 70 ppm
    CH: 175 ppm
    CYA: 40ppm
    * Now add bleach to get my FC up ?

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes. And lower the pH and keep it in the 7s.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Lower pH, add bleach. It's a little early to panic about 1 CC, because some water companies use chloramines and you just refilled. Panic if it's still there after a full day of sunlight and adequate FC.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!