Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Slam questions I can't seem to find answers to....

1. Back To Top    #1

Slam questions I can't seem to find answers to....

Well thanks to everyone here I've never had to slam my pool since I acquired it with the purchase of my home.

However I do have a few questions that after reading and reading I still don't have a clear understanding of. From what I read the OCLT should be done with the FC at shock levels. If my pool is sparkling clear, with a CC of .5 or less how much daily FC consumption is considered "normal". Right now i'm loosing approx. 1 ppm a day, and I know that's acceptable, but I don't have a problem to sneak up on me in the future. I test daily, and just was wondering what was the early "warning" signs to look for when your water looks right, but its about to go back.

Thanks in advance!
    44,000 gallon IG vinyl liner pool. 1.5 hp single speed motor on E Z flow pump/sand filter. Unknown age of pool, Kreepy krauly vacuum, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Slam questions I can't seem to find answers to....

Normal loss is usually 2-3ppm.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

As long as you maintain at least min chlorine level for your cya level your pool will stay good forever. Chlorine CYA Chart We are cranking up swim season 4 with no slam/shock ever.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! I have a CYA of 50 and I keep the FC at 5 to try to stay in the middle of the recommendations.
    44,000 gallon IG vinyl liner pool. 1.5 hp single speed motor on E Z flow pump/sand filter. Unknown age of pool, Kreepy krauly vacuum, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by dapeople View Post
    Thanks! I have a CYA of 50 and I keep the FC at 5 to try to stay in the middle of the recommendations.
    The chart really isn't a range, like 4 - 6 it's really target 6, so the FC will never go below 4. If you set it at 5 on a bright sunny day you may loose 2 ppm bringing you down below your absolute minimum of 4. Some areas of the country (or individual pools depending on the amount of sun they get) may need to bump that target up a little.

The goal is to never go below the minimum, in you case 4.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

you're well on your way, if 5 works for you, stick with it. seeing your sig doesn't mention how you add your chlorine, I am guessing it is a bleach only thing? if that is the case check your CYA anytime you have a significant rise or lowering in pool water level, but otherwise it should be steady.
    25.5K gal vinyl IGP 3.5' - 8' depth. 1.5HP single speed A.O. Smith C48L2N134B1 motor on a Hayward SP2610X15 Pump. 40 ft2 D.E. Filter Hayward model EC75A. Hayward Chlorinator model CL200. single skimmer, 2 Returns. TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir.

7. Back To Top    #7

ah, didn't think of it that way. I'll make the changes.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, Im just pouring in bleach by hand as needed. I've checked the CYA several times since obtaining the pool because the previous owner used pucks, and that also all I knew until I found this site about 2 months ago. Each time I've checked it its pretty much been 50. Should I lower that? Each night I raise my FC to 5 ppm, and the next evening its always 4.0- to 4.2. I've never seen it go lower that that in about 2 months, even with a week of straight rains.

8. Back To Top    #8

ah, didn't think of it that way. I'll make the changes.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, Im just pouring in bleach by hand as needed. I've checked the CYA several times since obtaining the pool because the previous owner used pucks, and that also all I knew until I found this site about 2 months ago. Each time I've checked it its pretty much been 50. Should I lower that? Each night I raise my FC to 5 ppm, and the next evening its always 4.0- to 4.2. I've never seen it go lower that that in about 2 months, even with a week of straight rains.
    50 is good for now. It's probably not the rain that is going to get you, it's the sun. The UV rays get the chlorine.

You comment is confusing me, you adjust to 5 in the evening and the very next morning it's 4.0 - 4.2? During the night the only thing consuming chlorine is organics.

Di sI just misunderstand?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

Yea, sorry. I test each evening, so from say 6pm one day to 6pm the next it loose on average about 1 ppm

10. Back To Top    #10

Yea, sorry. I test each evening, so from say 6pm one day to 6pm the next it loose on average about 1 ppm
    Got it. Make me feel better. If you are only loosing 1ppm per day 6 is a good target for now. Remember in the heat of the summer with the sun overhead you will loose a little more each day.

11. Back To Top    #11

thanks a ton, I'm OCD about the pool after swimming in tons of bad pools. I like my hair color, and my eyes! I have a friend who has a lot smaller pool by approx. 20,000 gallons who has spent double to get their pool clear than I have. I try to explain to them but for some reason "bleach" scares people.

I am about to become a supporter of this site, as soon as I get home to where I left my wallet, it is awesome.

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes, as summer heats up and you do more swimming chlorine use will increase. And you are fine to go above 6 if you need to maintain min of 4. Any number below shock level is safe to swim. So, 8 or 10 is fine. The key number is never dropping below 4.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

The OCLT test is to see if you are losing chlorine to killing organics, not sunlight. So the first test should be done after sunset and the next test before sunrise - that way you eliminate the impact on sunlight on the results. Like others have stated, you never really have to worry about that unless your FC drops below the minimum target for your CYA level. You'll quickly learn how much CL you pool loses to sun, swimmer load, etc on a daily basis and you'll easily be able to keep it where you want it. I am going into my 3rd season using this method from when the pool was filled with water and have never had to SLAM.
    24 foot 54 inch AGP, 14.5k gallons, 1hp pump, 120 sq foot cartridge filter