Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tail end of the SLAM process directions

1. Back To Top    #1

Tail end of the SLAM process directions

So I took the pool from green swamp with very little debris to almost all the way clear. This is where I think I'm lacking direction.
    Slammed at 22.0 FC for 4 days. Its now getting clearer by the hour.
    So, My questions is at what point is it safe to let the FC drop to the suggested levels of 4-5 with a CYA of 45?

Plaster pool
    Bleach for Chlorine.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tail end of the SLAM process directions

Welcome to TFP!

You are done with the SLAM when:
    1. CC is 0.5 or lower;
    2. You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
    3. And the water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels. For more complete information on the SLAM Process, click this link: SLAM

Another handy reference when SLAMming and for ongoing maintenance of the proper level of FC: FC/CYA Chart
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

You're no doubt testing FC & CC every few hours. If you time things right, you'll do your last test of the evening after the sun sets, and the first in the morning before the sun hits, and you'll know when you passed the overnight loss and CC tests. "The water is clear" test is more subjective, but if you have passed the other two and the water isn't cloudy immediately after brushing, then you're done.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds good. I forgot to write that my CC is 0.5. I'm not understanding the relationship between CC and FC. How do you manipulate one without affecting the other?
    16,000 gallons. Gunite/Plaster. BBBM method. Sand filter. Polaris "Sputnik" cleaner tank.

5. Back To Top    #5

FC= Free Chlorine (Unused)- When you add Chlorine to your pool it is available to be used as a disinfectant
    CC- When your FC attacks stuff in your pool it becomes CC which is no longer able to be used as a disinfectant

CC are actually what causes the Chlorine smell, and hurts your eyes. More FC (unused) gets rid of CC, and once you have a good level of FC there will be nothing left to kill!

(That's my newbie understanding anyways)
    44,000 gallon IG vinyl liner pool. 1.5 hp single speed motor on E Z flow pump/sand filter. Unknown age of pool, Kreepy krauly vacuum, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

That's pretty good! Here is more info. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach