Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Store said not to use foam cove (or any at all ) or foam wall pads on Doughboy

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Store said not to use foam cove (or any at all ) or foam wall pads on Doughboy

Hello all, thanks in advance! After reading all the advice on this forum, I had decided to use pre-formed foam coves and foam wall pads when I replace the liner on my 12x24 Doughboy AGP.

The local pool store said that Doughboy pools are built not to need coves at all. They said to just have flat sand right to the wall and I would be OK. He said DO NOT use foam coves or any wall padding on the pool?

What does everyone think of that advice? Thanks in advance!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Store said not to use foam cove (or any at all ) or foam wall pads on Doughb

I am not an expert but in my AG pool, I think the foam coves work great. Step 12 of this Doughboy installation guide says:

"Important Step: The cove is a vital structural element that prevents water pressure from forcing the pool liner out under the bottom rail. The manufacturer will not assume
    responsibility should the cove be omitted. EARTH COVE: Use screened damp earth to form a cove around the inside base of pool wall. Shape and compact firmly.
    PRE-FORMED: Specifically designed pre-formed pool cove is available from your dealer. Follow cove manufacturer’s instructions. Recheck pool for roundness after installing cove.

Cove.JPG

I have not heard good things about foam on the wall. It seems like a waste of money, won't retain any heat (it's all lost out the top of the water surface) and could mkae for harder to maintain wall.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pool Store said not to use foam cove (or any at all ) or foam wall pads on Doughb

Thank you so much for that super informative reply! Everything that I had read about best practices here on this site mentions to use those preformed foam coves. It seems like a super important step to a proper install...

4. Back To Top    #4

I have an older doughboy but it does have the foam cove.