Hayward Push/Pull Value T Handle

Jul 4, 2014
Phoenix, az
First let me say I've got more good information from this site since finding it last year, than in the previous 15 years of owning a pool. I've never had to ask a question, as the answer were easy to find on the site. Well that ends today, I've got a problem that I need some input on.

I've got a Hayward DE filter with a push/pull value that the T handle and shaft have come off the plunger. The pin holds the shaft onto the plunger looks to having broken when I went to turn it. The value and filter are about 10 years old. I just replaced the o rings in the value about 2 months ago.

My issue is getting the plunger out of the value. I've tried pulling the plunger with a pair of pliers. It just won't move at all. Short of replacing the whole value, any ideas on the best method for getting the plunger out??

Thanks in advance.

Ron

Welcome to TFP!

On most models there is a cap covering the top of the valve that can be removed, which gives you access to the inside for replacing o-rings. If you take that off, it should be enough to let you see what is jamming the plunger.

Jason,

Thanks for the quick response. I was able to get the top cover off to access the top of the plunger. After playing around with it, I got it turn a little, which allowed my to pull it out. Looks like one of the O rings got hung up on one of the opens for the cross pipes. Now it's off to the local pool store for a new O ring.

One more question. Can I use a cotter pin instead of getting retaining pin for the shaft? Asking since the hole for the retaining pin in the plunger is no longer round from use.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.