Balancing TA and Ph after stain removal

JoanC

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 26, 2012
Rome, GA
Hi Everybody,
I have two concerns.
1. Where does the TA need to be for my 9yr old bleached out vinyl liner?

2. I need to bring the Ph down a little before adding the Cl back in order to keep the stains at bay.
If you advise to raise the TA the Ph will rise a bit.
Should I lower Ph before raising TA (if you advise such) just to see where the Ph goes then bring it down?

Things that have been added:
2 handfuls ascorbic acid April 9th
1 quart of polyquat April 11th
12oz polyquat April 18th
TA had been 40 and I added baking soda per pool calculator in two small doses to get it to 60 last week.
Is 70 or even higher a better target? I'm thinking I kept it at 70 last summer and did well with my Ph not bouncing but I want to protect this old liner.

I have not added sequestrant as yet. I didn't want to send it out to waste or backwash it out with all of the rain we've been having. I know to add sequestrant before slowly adding the Cl back.
Water just turned cloudy past 3 days. May be due to pollen film on water or heavy rains past week and a half. Yes, we have lots of pollen in between the storms and rain showers.

If you suggest adding anything, is there any particular order needed please?

Today
Ph- 7.8 (not fuchsia for 8 but a little darker than the 7.8)
Cl- 0
CC- 0
TA-60
CH-60
CYA-30

Thank you much,
Joan

TA of 60ppm is fine if you are using bleach. Would not go much lower though.
Might be OK to raise the TA to about 70ppm, circulate for 30+ minutes, verify pH and then lower the pH before you start adding FC back in (which you need to do soon!).

Make sure to add the sequestrant in too.

Your TA is good for the moment. Start by getting the PH down to around 7.2 to 7.5.

Longer term TA around 70 to 90 is recommended if you are using bleach/liquid chlorine, but wait until everything else is gotten in line before adjusting TA further.

Thank you Jason & Jason! You guys got on this quick!

Yes, I am using liquid chlorine/bleach. I should have mentioned that.

I will leave the TA for now and start to get the Ph down as suggested. When I'm down to Ph 7.2 I'll add the sequestrant, let it mix for a while and then start adding my Cl slowly.

Thank you both again!
Joan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.