Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Order of Operations?

1. Back To Top    #1

Order of Operations?

Opened the pool today to see things did not stay like I closed them Green swampy mess...

FC:0
    CC:0
    PH: below the scale, maybe 6.6
    TA:75
    CH:225
    CYA: Also below the chart maybe 15?

Do I need to get the pool to hold some chlorine first then worry about the other stuff, SLAM the **** out of it? Or worry about it all at once?

Thanks for the help!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Order of Operations?

Ok,

Do you have the proper test kit? You'll need it first.

Get the pH up 7.2-7.5, and the Cya to about 30, no higher than 40. Then load up on bleach, and review the SLAM article before moving any further. Ask questions if you need too before starting. Let us know how to help. If I haven't said so before, welcome to TFP.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Using Taylor K-2006. I'll add that to my signature!

Should I just use Soda Ash to bring the PH up? Where do you guys usually buy it in large quantities?
    22,000ish gallon concrete pool.
    Taylor K-2006
    Sand Filter
    Joplin, Mo

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

Order a TF100 test kit from tftestkits.net. Get the extended edition with extra reagents. Might want to get the speed stir while you're at it to help with more consistent and easier testing.

Check out this link about Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

And also, please update you signature with pool info as described here, What we need to know to answer your questions

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dkoucky View Post

Should I just use Soda Ash to bring the PH up? Where do you guys usually buy it in large quantities?
    oops, just saw the K2006 post. That is good.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Best bet for raising pH is Borax. Can find it at most grocery stores in the laundry detergent section. Most common brand is 20 Mule Team Borax.

Check out this link for recommended chemicals: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...pool-chemicals

I'd get familiar and read through ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry as well.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

A 2006 is fine, but you'll want to go ahead and get replacement FAS/DPD reagents ordered pronto. The XL option for the TF100 would get you plenty just FYI.

The soda ash is fine, or Borax. Both can be had from grocery stores. Make sure it is Borax or Washing SODA, not washing detergent or baking soda.

Alternatively, pool and hardware places will have pH up, which is Soda Ash.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

We get Arm and Hammer Washing Soda at Kroger, or 20 Team Mule Borax.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

I agree with Patrick:
    -Get about 15-20ppm of CYA dissolving in a sock in the skimmer
    -Raise the pH into the low 7s (you should be able to find washing soda / soda ash in the grocery store) ... make sure to use PoolMath to calculate dosages and have your TA set in PoolMath also
    -Follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!